Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been putting the BS & V in the dishwasher, but I'm not convinced it's getting the grease & oil off. I made up that liquid dishwasher recipe (Spastica posted w/ the Dr. Bronners, lemon juice, etc) & was trying to use it to do pots & pans in the sink - but it is REALLY not handling grease & oil. What do you suggest? I would love it if I could eliminate buying premade detergents entirely...
Thanks

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Personally, I found I was using more Dr. B's than I do my natural dish detergent when I was using to wash dishes, and considering the price, that wasn't working for me. Straight Dr. B's worked best for me, even for greasy post and pans, but lefts spots all over and was pricy. I've been using Seventh Generation with lavender (heavenly) and just love it.

That's just my experience. What's your concern about buying the premade stuff?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momto l&a
For us Dr B does not remove grease at all period.
Really? That is so funny. I didn't expect it to clean a big nonstick pan that had been used to make fried shrimp (gotta love my mother
but it did. Took three applications, but it would have taken two of regular detergent anyway, IME.

Either way though, it was just so much to be using just for dishes. I have so many other things I need it for

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I use and love either Seventh Generation or Sun and Earth. Dishmate is nice too.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I actually don't use Dr. Bronners' - I may have found that recipe on their website, though I don't recall mixing lemon juice with Dr. Bronners'. It's probably too mild of a soap to use on really dirty dishes.

You can try washing soda (sodium carbonate) in your dishwasher. It's stronger than baking soda and is the key element in most powdered dishwashing detergents. Sodium carbonate is safe for the environment. Use gloves when handling sodium carbonate and keep it away from pets and kids.

·
Registered
538 Posts
We use plaing old Seventh Generation liquid dish soap and their dishwasher powder detergent. Both work really well and last forever.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by skylarsmama
We use plaing old Seventh Generation liquid dish soap and their dishwasher powder detergent. Both work really well and last forever.
:

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by skylarsmama
Yup. Us, too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts