Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My son is almost 8 and in the third grade.  He has been tutored for 2 years now.  The beginning of this year is when major signs of dyslexia showed through.  He is a very hard worker and is in the higher math group.  He happens to sound out words backwards and flip numbers.  His reading is NOT on grade level.  He is in RTI 3 and should be tested through the school soon.  My question is 2 fold.  1. Why doesn't insurance cover testing for dyslexia when it is a medical diagnosis?  2.  How important is it have that label written in an IEP?  I am just really frustrated and feel like I am in a corner.  I want to make the right choice for my child with little confusion.  If there is any guidance anyone can give me as to pick a doctor, get insurance to cover it, (anthem is who we have), I would grateful.  Thank you for you time.</p>
<p>A mom with questions???  </p>

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
<p>Dyslexia is not considered a medical diagnosis by many insurance companies, it is labeled as a learning disability, and therefore not covered. It is considered a school problem not medical from an insurance perspective. It is one of those things where you have to read the fine, fine print of your policy. From my limited understanding of IEP and school districts (we don't have to have one at my DD1's private school), what language needs to be in there varies. Our local school district and a major reason why we went private, does not recognize dyslexia as a diagnosis at all.They will create an IEP about a learning disability but it is not specific as to what. You what to search for someone that can give a comprehensive evaluation. Testing for dyslexia is not one test but multiple and you need a qualified professional. I would search IDA's website, I believe they have a section to search for providers. </p>

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
<p>Schools may disregard private testing, but not always.  They have their own forms of assessment.  They generally are not concern about the label because they want to focus on particular issues and disabilities that effect the student's ability to learn and perform at grade level on tasks.  When my son was tested his dyslexia was revealed through a neuropsych exam or evaluation and he did have a medical basis for the exam.  Talk with your doctor about whether or not they can give you a referral that meets your insurance companies requirement to cover the costs.  This is a helpful website and our psych recommended Sally Shaywitz's book Overcoming Dyslexia.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts