Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, first this is not a post to bash dd users.

Most of my friends use dd on their kids; fine for them. But when they come to my house it seems like their kids ALWAYS poop and then they throw the poopy diaper in my trash. I don't use dd ever and so don't have a diaper pail. Some of them just go ahead and throw the diaper in my kitchen garbage (thanks!), but the more polite ones ask where they should put it. I tell them in the outside garbage but really I just want to tell them to take it home with them! I have a real problem with a poop filled diaper in my home in any garbage (because I feel the poop should be dumped in the toilet where it belongs). Am I being anal retentive? God forbid I ever say this to anyone, but it just IRKS me!

Jenny
SAHM to Noah (4), Joshua (2) and csection Sarah 101/6/03

·
Registered
847 Posts
You could point out that printed on every pack of disposable diapers are instructions to shake the solid wastes into the toilet before disposing of the diaper itself. I wouldn't stand for someone throwing poop in my trash.

From my experience with all of my friends and some relatives who use disposies very few DD users actually do this step. It's sad really. And gross!

·
Registered
293 Posts
i just wanted to chime in and say that most of the packages now DO NOT have that statement saying that the solids should be thrown in the toilet. i think that a lot of mainstream mommies out there honestly don't know that they are supposed to do this. i too think that it's gross and if i'm using a sposies and DS poops in it, i try to empty it out first.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
I have a bunch of plastic grocery bags that I keep around in case someone has a diaper to dispose of. I just hand it to them and they always tie the dipe inside and then throw it in my trash-- so I don't have to smell it. I found that to be a good compromise since most dd moms wouldn't even think about carting it out with them like we cd moms do.

Darshani

·
Registered
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sixpence1978
i just wanted to chime in and say that most of the packages now DO NOT have that statement saying that the solids should be thrown in the toilet.
My mistake. In Canada it is still printed on all the packages-I had the misfortune to be with my SIL while she was buying and I showed her several since she also insisted on throwing her DS' poop in my trash that morning. What fun!

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I would go the grocery bag route. But also keep in mind that you can't dunk and swish a disposable diaper, and many babies don't have poops that will just fall right off the diaper into the toilet.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I wondered about that statement that everyone says is on the dd package, but I have never seen it. I guess they do not put it on all of them anymore. I guess people do not know they are supposed to dump sposies, I didn't when I used them.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
It's only happened to me once, and I had no qualms about handing her a grocery bag and pointing her to the nearest garbage disposal - out of my apartment. She did not seem upset by this, but I did tell her that I use cloth dipes, and don't have anywhere appropriate for her to dispose of her diaper inside.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
You could say "feel free to toss the poop in the toilet; that's what I do. Oh, and then you could throw the diaper portion in the trash outside."

Hmmmmmmm....looks like an angle where cloth IS more convienent than 'sposies; you don't have to go outside on a hike to the trash when visiting your cding friend!

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
There's a sign in the family rest room at a local toy store that says you can change your diapers there, but please carry them out with you and don't put them in the trash.

It's not been a problem for us, since we always use cloth- and take them home. I never thought until now that it could be a policy at home, too- to have people carry their used dd diapers out.

The grocery bag is a good idea.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
No, you're not being anal - this drives me absolutely nuts too.

Even when I was a dd user, I put them straight into the outside bin, never ever in the kitchen bin. How disgusting, especially if its someone else's childs poop in there! I had a few friends who would do this to me without even asking (oh and fill up their child's bottle from our fridge too, leaving us with no milk the next morning)

I would never ever do this to someobody, I think its the height of rudeness. Wherever we were, our disposables came home with us, unless of course, there was a dedicated diaper bin, like in parents change room at the shopping centre.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I often use dd when out and about. If I am at someone's house I always ask where they would like me to put the used diaper. I do dump poop in the toilet mostly out of habit.

My SIL on the other hand doesn't even throw them away. She just leaves them where she changes them (at Thanksgiving she changed my nephew on her aunt's brand new couch.) She also never using a changing pad. I thought the aunt was going to kill her. I found four abandonded diapers that day alone. It is so revolting. I'm sure she is getting better since she just has one in diapers now.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Oh my sister does this too! She changes her baby on my mum's couch or even on the bed, with no change mat. I dont know how my mother doesnt scream!

This is not necessarily a disposable only thing, but golly, what are people thinking?

I'd also like to agree with the post above re dunking and swishing. With my second son, who tended towards being constipated, dumping the poo in the toilet was no problem. I used cloth a fair bit on my first son but when he was in disposables, I had to throw the poop away. He just always had peanut butter poos.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I have a Huggies package right here (shhh...it's a secret!) that says: "When disposing of soiled diaper, empty contents into toilet. Do not flush diaper. Please do not litter". I'm pretty sure I've seen it on Pampers packages too. However, it's in really tiny print!!

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
When I used DD's, I always had the scented plastic bags in the diaper bag to throw the poopy ones in and then I would throw them in the trash. If it was someone I didn't know very well I'd just take the diaper home with me.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
As an ex dd user, I always had a plastic bag to put used diapers in. It would depend whose house I was at, whether I'd ask where to dispose of it, or take it home with me.

To be honest, if someone wants to dispose of a diaper in my house, I'm not grossed out by it at all. If it's in a bag, it can go in any bin, I don't see the big deal. Maybe I'm just too bogged down with diaper changes myself to care.
:

I am wondering now what other people think of my changing routine - dd#2 is a wriggling escape artist, and I often just change her on my lap or the floor, (if wet, not if poopy) It would be a waste of time trying to get a changing mat under her. I just take the first opportunity to get her still for a moment and do a swift change.

I never realised you were supposed to dispose of the poop down a toilet until I started using cds. I've never seen that on a package, although I have to admit I don't think I ever read the print on the side of a Pampers pack!

Oh dear, it sounds like lots of you would be horrified if I came to visit!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.