Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure we can all come up with examples but I'll get things started.

You take your new baby to the doctor and express some concerns about the number and timing of vaccines. The doctor says: "if your baby doesn't get all the recommended vaccines they can't go to school."

You start researching and discover that your state has exemptions available and, in addition, that many of the recommended vaccines aren't required for school.

Will you have some trust issues with that doctor?

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
I think a lot of parents would chalk it up to, 'Oh the dr is so busy he probably forgot all about the exemptions' and make other excuses, and go on business as usual -- until the next time mom catches dr in another misinformed statement...then the concern starts setting in, paving the way for trust issues. Sometimes, as I have witnessed, it takes a mother 5 times to be mislead, to pave the way for finding out the truth....and by that time, boy are they ticked off for feeling like they were lied to and I don't blame them one bit!

·
Registered
18,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bumping up this thread because I'd like to get some more feedback on how doctors do at getting parents to trust what they say on vaccines.

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'll try to keep my whole back story short, but I started researching vaccines when I got a puppy. She was so little and I wanted to be as gentle as possible. The research shocked me and I'm so thankful because it was all preparation for having a baby. I went to town researching. Then I looked at my own experiences growing up and it pushed me further and further from Western medicine. When I was pregnant, I would read about another mom's experience or about the drs "sales tactics", and I would look back and think, "that's exactly what happened to me as a kid or as a teen!" For example, I had one doctor convince my mom to give me a tetanus shot after I had a small sting from a jelly fish. Now I know that it was some form of the dtap. They told my parents that I HAD to get (fill in the blank) vaccines to go into middle school. Time after time, as a teen and young adult, I was given drugs that had advertisements/pens/clipboards/sample boxes around the doctor's office. All of my experiences have turned into tally marks against western med. If I had grown up with doctors that were unbiased, transparent, and open to different treatments, I may not feel this way. I know this is the open forum, so yes, I do use western trained docs when I absolutely need to. There is a time and a place. But I go into appointments armed with information and my guard is up. It's the same way I acted when I went to a time share sales meeting, polite but I'm not buying what you're selling.:grin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts