Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Quote:
"I shredded it," said Gayle Ash, of Belton, Texas, in a telephone interview. "A breast is a breast - it's a sexual thing. He didn't need to see that."
Sad, sad, sad.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EVC
Sad, sad, sad.
Even worse was the irony - the "it's a sexual thing" woman (claimed to have) breastfed her own children.

I shall go forth and breastfeed in public...

·
Banned
192 Posts
:

I have a very hard time believing that someone who claims to have BF her own children would state that it's a "sexual thing." I don't believe she BF. Whatever . . . .

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimples_2005
:

I have a very hard time believing that someone who claims to have BF her own children would state that it's a "sexual thing." I don't believe she BF. Whatever . . . .
:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just literally pictured someone standing at a shredder and feeding it that beautiful picture of a nursing baby and all I can imagine is the hate and guilt that woman must have been feeling. How else can you possibly feel if you see that picture and want to destroy it? So sad...

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
"I'm totally supportive of it -- I just don't like the flashing," she says. "I don't want my son or husband to accidentally see a breast they didn't want to see."

How about this one? So it is ok if they see the breast that they want to see (like in playboy, and the covers of maxim, cosmo, vogue, etc). But they don't want to see breastfeeding breasts? Probably because it does ruin the sexualness of women's breasts for them, that is why they don't want to see it, they realize what they are really for!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
the article was picked up by CNN>com and is on the front page of their website this morning.

some of the really bizarre comments these women made show just how really dysfunctional we are as a culture regarding sexuality and women's bodies (and mothering too).

no wonder so few women breastfeed, we can't even come to terms with a breast. (i don't even want to know what they think about most of us coming into this world via a vagina, or the fact that we were all created because of sex and a load of sperm.)

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
Pretty ironic that the caption on the cover of the magazine is "Why don't women nurse longer?"

Well, duh. This kind of crap would be why.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Stuff like this really makes me want to vomit. Even when I didn't breastfeed and still thought boobs were only sexual (I admit it, I did), I still didn't have that kind of attitude towards breastfeeding. A shredder? Serious issues there.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Even I am shocked. But I sent off a quick letter of support.

This is fine. I welcome the cover and the controversy. It gives our side a chance to speak up about this topic and bring it up.

Everybody on MDC should be sending e-mails!!!!
:

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
I agree Tanya, I sent an e-mail in support as well.

My first reaction was to gag, but on second thought this is GREAT - people are talking about the issue, the people that are anti-breastfeeding are coming accross as ill informed and uptight. This is goodness all around!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
This article just makes me sad......and glad that I live in a fairly liberal state.......and I just can't wait to get pregnant again, so I can nurse another child in public!!!!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I was stunned that a mag like babytalk would even publish an article on bfing let alone depict a nursing child on the cover. The thing I find sad (in addition to the wacked out comments others have already mentioned) is that the photo on the cover isn't generally how a baby nursing in public looks. If the issue is nursing in public (as opposed to something like getting a proper latch), then accurately show a baby nursing in public (which my local paper did when it also ran a large photo of women who I'm sure were MDC mamas in Ohio in front of VS -- Annakiss - I think you were one of them).

And, it really isn't about seeing a breast. It's about seeing a baby using a breast for its intended purpose -- FEEDING A CHILD! It wigs people out. They sexualize the baby because breasts are sexualized in this culture. We are meant as a species to nurse our young! Mammals - mammary gland - boob - duh!

One of my friends just yesterday said that her sis only nursed her children briefly because she believes that bfing boys makes them gay - WTF? How twisted is that. I would think if anything having that much early contact with a boob would "keep" a boy from becoming gay (that's not what I think - I'm just going with her line of thinking).

One last point before I end this rant (and thank heaven there is a place I can post a rant like this - thank you mdc!)....

I hate how these articles only discuss nursing in public but don't hammer home the point that bfing is so much more healthy for your child regardless of where you nurse the baby. A local OBGYN said on a public radio show once that we just don't know what the long term effects are of raising generations of kids on formula. The way I look at it is that just because something can keep you alive, doesn't mean it's the best or healthiest option. A person could live for quite a while on diet coke and cheetos but is that the best thing to eat?

Thank you for letting me rant.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beccah+twins+1
I just literally pictured someone standing at a shredder and feeding it that beautiful picture of a nursing baby and all I can imagine is the hate and guilt that woman must have been feeling. How else can you possibly feel if you see that picture and want to destroy it? So sad...
I know, that gave me chills.

Also, it occurs to me - she's teaching her teenage son that the female body is disgusting and should be treated with violence and anger.

Nice lesson, huh?

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by turtlewomyn
"I'm totally supportive of it -- I just don't like the flashing," she says. "I don't want my son or husband to accidentally see a breast they didn't want to see."

How about this one? So it is ok if they see the breast that they want to see (like in playboy, and the covers of maxim, cosmo, vogue, etc). But they don't want to see breastfeeding breasts? Probably because it does ruin the sexualness of women's breasts for them, that is why they don't want to see it, they realize what they are really for!
I could only hope my DH & sons could see more women BFing! I'd probably point it out to them

And I thought that the picture was beautiful
. Whoever would shred that up has serious mental problems.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Here's the Babytalk article too:

Why Women Don't Nurse Longer

I like this line:

Quote:
Moms in Kansas don't need to spend time crafting a comeback. In honor of a 2006 breastfeeding law, the state has printed up cards that mothers can flash in the face of anyone who tells them to stop nursing. The card states, "Kansas License to Breastfeed in Public - It's the Law." Don't live in Kansas? You can still tell disapproving strangers to bugger off - download Babytalk's breastfeeding-rights card.
Last edit: After reading the whole article it seems to be the same "try your best, don't feel guilty" stuff everyone always prints. But hey - at least people are talking about it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
honeybeedreams said:
some of the really bizarre comments these women made show just how really dysfunctional we are as a culture regarding sexuality and women's bodies (and mothering too). QUOTE]

exactly, I may have to use that line. I already emailed them....that article makes me just want NIP MORE...bunch of idiots

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.