Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a disturbing dream a couple of nights ago that I'm still trying to process. In it, I was driving some people that I know (but don't particularly care for) from point A to point B, but I kept going the wrong way. I'd get to a dead end, then have to go back to the starting point. We'd mill around for a few minutes, then I'd try again. This was in a moderately busy area of town (I didn't recognize the place) at a major intersection with lots of overpasses. After a few times of doing this, when I got off the bus I saw a little boy … about my dd's age (2 y/o). He looked very much like her (blond hair, blue eyes, fair skin). He was SOOOO sad, sitting on the curb all by himself. I picked him up and carried him a few yards down the sidewalk. I noticed that he needed a diaper change and thought about doing it, but had the fleeting thought that his mother might not appreciate me changing her baby's diaper. When I came around the back of the bus with him still in my arms, there was a disheveled woman with dark skin and hair, carrying another, younger, toddler. She took the boy from me and walked away. I could feel this boy's sadness lingering …. I feel it still.

I can't seem to shake the feeling that this was my son and he was telling me he couldn't stay with me.

We're still looking for a midwife; I'll be 7 weeks on Saturday and we haven't seen any sort of care provider at all yet. I've been totally relaxed about this pregnancy up 'til now, but right now I just want to run to the nearest ob and demand an u/s to check on things. What would you mamas do?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Because I would worry obsessivly, I would probably go get checked. Even just HCG levels or progesterone. I know the studies are saying u/s can be bad, but I stress myself out SO much, I think that knowing everythign is well is better for tha babe than having all the stress hormones flowing around him. That is just me - I am an obsessive worrier.

I hope this helps and that the dream meant something totally different.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Wow, Elizabeth, that is a disturbing dream. I hate those dreams that leave you with a lingering feeling of dread......

Maybe it's your fears coming through in your dreams? Plus, we all know that pregnancy can sometimes produce some very strange dreams. One that I had when I was about 37 weeks with Mason was that I birthed him by myself, in the tub (which is normal) BUT he was tiny and sort of........inside out. It was an incredibly visual and disturbing dream that I never forgot.

I'm sure your little bean is fine, mama. But, if it would make you feel better, definitely get your hcg checked somewhere. You shouldn't have to do much, just go to a clinic and ask for one. You might have to pay for it upfront, but it was only like 30 bucks when I got it done.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the quickest, cheapest thing I could think to do was take another pg test and it was DARK. Like, the darkest one I've ever had, EVER. So, I'm feeling a little better about things today. Thanks for y'all's responses, though. That dream *really* freaked me out, but I've got sooooo much stressful stuff going on in my life right now (selling one house, building another one, probably having to buy a new vehicle for dh, finding a midwife ..... too much!!!). Really, I guess it could have been related to any of those things too.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I dreamed last night that I miscarried. I was going to the bathroom and I felt a strange pain in my abdomen. I looked down and there was all this blood and tissue and I just started bawling. I woke up feeling just sick. It was so realistic I almost thought it really happened when I woke up. This is our first baby/pregnancy and when I told one of my friends she said I should have waited to tell people because a lot of people miscarry in the first trimester. Ever since I've been freaked out, and that dream didn't help!

Kristi

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~~Mama2B~~
I dreamed last night that I miscarried. I was going to the bathroom and I felt a strange pain in my abdomen. I looked down and there was all this blood and tissue and I just started bawling. I woke up feeling just sick. It was so realistic I almost thought it really happened when I woke up. This is our first baby/pregnancy and when I told one of my friends she said I should have waited to tell people because a lot of people miscarry in the first trimester. Ever since I've been freaked out, and that dream didn't help!

Kristi

Those dreams just SUCK ... and it doesn't help when "friends" are so willing to share unhappy statistics.
: We told EVERYBODY almost before the pee had dried on the stick (gross image, I know!!) with dd. I figured if something did happen, I'd want people to know why I was crying all over the place. Anyway, I hope you feel better soon. I know how unnerving the super-realistic pregnancy dreams can be.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hi!

I also had a dream/weird feeling that the baby was leaving us a few days ago. I woke up certain that it's all over. I am 9 weeks now and still waiting for my first appointment with a midwife. I didn't know what to do. This is such a difficult and special time all at the same time, since we can in no way "feel" our babies or hear their heartbeat, yet, but in a way I feel much closer to the baby now.

My feeling is that there is nothing to do but wait. I've heard of dreams like these created by our own fears and in that case, it would do no good to get all worried and stressed about it all. I know it sounds hard to do, but for me it's been a few days and I have no more bad feelings, quite the opposite. I feel peaceful, whichever way this goes!

In any case, this has helped me grow closer to our little baby, who was a BIG surprise and I had been somewhat hesitant to get "attached".

All that said, it will be a long wait now until our first appointment for you and me! I wish you all the best for you and your little one, and most of all, happy and beautiful dreams!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by firstwomantomars
My feeling is that there is nothing to do but wait. I've heard of dreams like these created by our own fears and in that case, it would do no good to get all worried and stressed about it all. I know it sounds hard to do, but for me it's been a few days and I have no more bad feelings, quite the opposite. I feel peaceful, whichever way this goes!
Yes, exactly!

Also, it helped me to commit even more strongly to a low-intervention pregnancy/birth. We're using a midwife for our homebirth, but we'll have less prenatal appointments than the "norm" since we live 3-1/2 hours from her. If we had been seeing an ob (like with dd), then I'd surely have called and begged for an ultrasound, just to check on things. With this pregnancy, I'm doing my darnest to just relax and *be pregnant* without all the poking & prodding. (DISCLAIMER: I don't mean this in any way to be insulting to mamas who are choosing to use ob's and following the traditional standard of care. We've just decided it's not for us.
)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I had disturbing dreams with both my first two pregnancies, and I believe that they 'revealed' my child to me. The first I dreamed that there was a child lost in my house... when I found him he was fine built, fine featured, with radient blue eyes- my firstborn son to a T. The second I dreamed that I was jogging along a shoreline in early winter and I found a child frozen under the ice. I pulled him out, and he was golden skinned, brown eyed, stocky as all heck. he came to life in my arms.... and my second son turned out to look just like that!

i know that this might sound a little 'out there' to some of you, but I swear it it's true!

Still waiting to dream this babe.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
i had a mc dream the other day, i have been crampy since i found out i was prego and i think was really crampy that night and it is what brought on the dream... every time i pee now i am looking for blood...

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I had a really similar dream a few nights ago. But in my dream I was really calm and just told DH that I knew it was going to happen, I was just waiting for it. It was so realistic (like most pregnancy-induced dreams). It's so unnerving!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~~Mama2B~~

Kristi

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UltimateSerj
i had a mc dream the other day, i have been crampy since i found out i was prego and i think was really crampy that night and it is what brought on the dream... every time i pee now i am looking for blood...

OMGosh me too. I'm always wiping and wiping and then scrutinizing the TP to see if there's any blood.
:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Kristi,

I doubt you are going to have an MC, but your friend is wrong about not telling people. I had an MC years ago, and hadn't told anyone, and when it happened, I had no support group at all. When I told them that I had an MC, to them it wasn't a big deal at all because they had just heard about both the pregnancy and the MC at the same time, and hadn't built up hopes and dreams like I had. It is much better to have your loved ones there with you for support.

Regarding dreams, I had all kinds of dreams when I was pregnant. Some were sad, some were hilarious, all were very vivid. Your mind is processing a lot during this time. What kind of a mom will you be. What kid of baby will you have. Will it be healthy. Will everything go fine. Will you love the baby. Will it love you. What will it be like. Don't let your dreams scare you. It is especially hard to cope with a nightmare now, when your hormones are making you take everything so hard.

I think that it is similar to how, after the baby is born, you become obsessed with possible dangers. You see dangers everywhere, and end up visualizing all kinds of horrible accidents. But you have to. It is your job. There are dangers everywhere. A Cheerio becomes a deadly object. This is an amazing adventure. When you have a nightmare, hug your belly, rub it, talk to it, tell it that you have many happy dreams for it, and that you will always be there. Because you will.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That's so interesting to think of the dreams as ways of "revealing" your child to you. I love that.

I've had some pretty mad dreams, too. Last night, I dreamt I was shot in the belly. I looked down and had this strange bullet scar just left of my belly button, but no blood. I remember thinking, "I think the baby will be okay because it's so low down right now," and then I continued doing what I was doing.
:

·
Registered
726 Posts
whenever i'm pregnant i go through all my underwear and PUT AWAY all those that have any sort of even faint bloodstain. i recommend the practice! plus it's a good excuse to get some new ones.

*j

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muggins&Doody
OMGosh me too. I'm always wiping and wiping and then scrutinizing the TP to see if there's any blood.
:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wirewendy
Kristi,

I doubt you are going to have an MC, but your friend is wrong about not telling people. I had an MC years ago, and hadn't told anyone, and when it happened, I had no support group at all. When I told them that I had an MC, to them it wasn't a big deal at all because they had just heard about both the pregnancy and the MC at the same time, and hadn't built up hopes and dreams like I had. It is much better to have your loved ones there with you for support.

Regarding dreams, I had all kinds of dreams when I was pregnant. Some were sad, some were hilarious, all were very vivid. Your mind is processing a lot during this time. What kind of a mom will you be. What kid of baby will you have. Will it be healthy. Will everything go fine. Will you love the baby. Will it love you. What will it be like. Don't let your dreams scare you. It is especially hard to cope with a nightmare now, when your hormones are making you take everything so hard.

I think that it is similar to how, after the baby is born, you become obsessed with possible dangers. You see dangers everywhere, and end up visualizing all kinds of horrible accidents. But you have to. It is your job. There are dangers everywhere. A Cheerio becomes a deadly object. This is an amazing adventure. When you have a nightmare, hug your belly, rub it, talk to it, tell it that you have many happy dreams for it, and that you will always be there. Because you will.
I agree. I couldn't imagine keeping something like this from my friends and family for 3 whole months! Plus, if I do mc I would want people to understand and grieve with me.

Good advice.

And I'll try not to let my dreams creep me out unnessecarily...

Kristi

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jecaly
whenever i'm pregnant i go through all my underwear and PUT AWAY all those that have any sort of even faint bloodstain. i recommend the practice! plus it's a good excuse to get some new ones.

*j
Yes, this is what I had to do as well, I even will not wear my pink undie.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.