Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The DC lists times when you can keep it in, such as using the bathroom. So, that got me wondering - does anyone leave it in when they're getting a shower? Or does anyone change it in the shower? Please excuse the weird questions. I'm just trying to figure some things out. I finally get to try my DC today. :LOL

· Registered
1,574 Posts
well, I don't have the Diva, I have the Keeper, but I would think for what you are asking, the same "rules" would apply....

Having said that: I put my Keeper in at the first sign of AF and leave it in for at least 48 hours before emptying it every month! So, its with me for everything I do for those hours...which is basically, well, everything I ever do!

I wouldn't worry about the shower. Leave it in. And enjoy the change...it took me several cycles to really start loving it, but after 3 years with the keeper, I would never go back to tampons!

HTH!

· Registered
2,938 Posts
i'm waiting for the arrival of my diva. i don't see any reason to take it out for showering. you don't take a tampon out to shower, kwim?

i think leaving it in for 48 hours seems a little extreme though...i could be wrong. it's happened once or twice before
:LOL

· Registered
223 Posts
The beauty of the Diva Cup is that you can leave it in no matter what you are doing, except having sex. I like to have it out in the shower just for a change of pace "air things out" if you will, but that's just me being funny.

Leaving it in for 48 hours is perfectly fine. Because it is made of silicone (or rubber) there is no danger of bacterial growth. I, however, bleed so heavily that I generally have to empty it every 3 hours or so

My god, things like this make me so amazingly happy that I have been liberated from tampons, not to mention evil pads.

You know what's funny is that my dh can always tell when I have emptied my diva cup because it makes this air coming out of a balloon sound. "Your vagina's crying again!"

· Registered
5,146 Posts
You know what's funny is that my dh can always tell when I have emptied my diva cup because it makes this air coming out of a balloon sound. "Your vagina's crying again!"

:LOL

My personal preference is to take it out right before taking a shower, then put it back in at the end of the shower. The warm water really makes putting it back in so much easier.

I never thought about leaving it in for 48 hours, but I might try it next time. I usually take it out twice a day (in the morning and in the late afternoon) but even during the heaviest flow days, it only gets about 1/4 full.

I've worn mine for swimming and it's great...I really 'forget' that I even have my period.

I'm a Diva-lovin' fool....

· Premium Member
20,157 Posts
I have taken it out in the shower before (gosh, water mixed with it makes for a very bloody mess). Generally, though, I take it out before and put it back in after. I know I could leave it longer than I generally do (the longest I usually leave it is usually overnight) but I like the idea of cleaning it out more often (though realistically that probably introduces *more* bacteria
).

· Registered
1,574 Posts
Funny...I seem to be the only one who leaves it in for a while...but that's my favorite thing about having the Keeper! Now, i only leave it in that long at the beginning...my flow does get heavy enough in the middle that I have to empty it in the morning when I wake...but I usually don't have to empty it again until the next morning. Love that!

Thomi'sMommy, I'm so sorry you have to change it alot...Yikes...it would drive me nuts! But too funny about your Dh! :LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.