Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everywhere I've read about raspberries I come across a statement something like, "As tempting as it is, don't plant gifted raspberry plants. Purchase disease-free plants...."

We're moving our raspberries this weekend and I have hundreds to give away. Is it irresponsible to give them? I don't want to propagate disease of course. But I don't want to compost these if they'd be good to pass along to someone.

Is it really that risky to plant gifted raspberries?

Any thoughts?

· Registered
1,165 Posts
I've not heard that but I've also not spent any time researching raspberry gifting. I have gifted raspberries, from my next door neighbor, and have not had any problems - other than them growing out of control! Until you mentioned the disease part, I was thinking folks were advised not to take gifted raspberries because they can get crazy so fast and are hard to get rid of!

· Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Our boysenberries were gifts and I
them, especially because I think of the gifter every time we pick them. Last year we gave away 50 or so little sprouts. I give away divisions of things often enough and have never even considered the disease aspect! I also wouldn't give away anything I know to be infested/diseased though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.