Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Ob office we are currenly useing delievers at mercy or Luthern.

We were at Medithost last time and like it.

I am thinking, maybe Mercy since they have NICU and Luth doesn't.

I know the C-rate is bit higher at Mercy than Luth (due i am sure somewhere to the mutip biths and higher risks since there IS an NICU there -- I knwo Meth numbers are higher than Luth for that reason)... but most of a C comes down to provider -- imo -- and not hoptial.

so what do you think -- who has dleivered where and what did you think?

Aimee

·
Registered
130 Posts
Aimee,
I am an L&D RN at Lutheran and we would love to have you! We are a lot smaller=more personal. We are also in the same health system as methodist and float between the units, so our style is similar.
I am glad I found this thread!
We actually have a critical care nursery and very competent CCN staff. Our nursery used to be a higher level, but was downgraded when we joined methodist.
We are a level 1 ccn, if your baby had severe distress we would transfer, but most issues are taken care of here. And if your baby transferred we would transfer you too. By severe I mean help breathing with a machine. This is super rare.
The majority of our care providers are family practice, I firmly believe they work harder to prevent a c-section. It's not just the risk factor.Family practice seem to give more time and let women go at their own pace.
I have never had a baby here, I had a homebirth in des moines and a hospital birth in St. Louis. So I can't give you that experience, but come and tour-I work at 7 pm on various weekdays.
Who's your doc?

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am so blessed that Mintizer found room in his small pratice for us.

We used a CNM last time and were not happy

I am really excited about the OB though, we've seen him once and he was very kind

DH is leaning towards Med -- we can choose. we were there last time with no problems.

But am still opne.

DO you have LDR rooms, or would i have to move?

Aimee

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mike is wonderful. He is my ob/gyn and was my back up for my homebirth even though my midwife Susan Karimi CNM wasn't someone he usually backed up.
We do have LDRP's. Lutheran was actually forward thinking way back. We were the first to have jacuzzi's in the state! I heard in the 70's we had queen size beds.
I guess my thoughts are stick with what you know. When I work there is seems hectic, but most everyone I have encountered has said they enjoyed their experience and the RN's were great.
For me, methodist would be too big. But I know it from the other side. We only have 16 beds.
And our rooms are small.Really small.
Mike does prefer methodist, but he will come to lutheran.
Let me know if you have any questions at all.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you have queen beds? currently?

Aimee

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have attended births as a doula at Lutheran. It is a fabulous little hospital. I absolutely love the staff.

Right now, (I am a nursing student) I work at Mercy as a PCT. If you want to have a normal birth, DON'T go to Mercy.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My sis had her birth at Mercy, they separated her and baby - against her wishes, I watched my neice bawl unassisted in the nursery for at least 10 minutes. Then they transfered her to a private room that smelled like urine.
Hooray for Mercy. NOT

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mercy is NOT in teh considerations

I have heard NOTHING good -- and a couple of really bad stories.
I do know a girl who had her baby there and she was happy -- BUTTTTT she went in planning a medical birth, so she got what she wanted.

Also I have had a couple of minior run in with very nasty neg nurses at Mercy.

it is down to L or Medth.

Meth is where we had Theo adn DH is content to go back there. it might be hetic -- but we didn't see it (wellllllll when we lobored in the hall due to weath warnings, it was nuts, buttttttttt that is to be expected when everyone has to be in teh halls cuz of the windows -- but laboring in a hell -- they put me in the C-unit for "privacy" on Pit and a monitor after 20+ hours of labor already -- is not fun, nor private
)

I just wish SOMEONE still had queen beds, twins are NOT big enough to be comfoy in -- and after the baby there is NO room for DH to even sit on teh edge of the bed and hold me and baby, much less lay with us even for cuddle time. AND this time Theo is gonna want to climb up when he visits us --

hey what does Luthern have in the rooms as far as seating for teh Daddy or who ever -- DH I am guess will not stay the night with me this time like last time, since he will go home to Theo butttt......

Aimee

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimee21972 View Post
Mercy is NOT in teh considerations

hey what does Luthern have in the rooms as far as seating for teh Daddy or who ever -- DH I am guess will not stay the night with me this time like last time, since he will go home to Theo butttt......

Aimee
Our seating is a very nice comfy cushioned rocker and a couch that turns into a bed. The chairs are new and very nice. I was impressed with the choice to replace real rocking chairs with the glider rockers.
I once again say go with what you know.Lutheran is small. Tour to see what you think, call 263-5100 to schedule

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.