Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I don't know. Neither my Dad or my FIL are grumpy. Dh is not grumpy. My grandfathers weren't rays of sunshine, but they weren't terribly grumpy either...

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I call mine a crotchety old ba$tard like his dad, lol. He laughs, but then looks concerned. I think it's an Aspie thing here, though, as his dad has it severely. For them it's more about being set in their ways and maybe there's some OCD in there.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
My dh is grumpy more often than not, now.
It makes me unhappy. I feel like I married one person, but I *am* married to a different one.
I love him, but I would not have married this version of him.

alsoSarah

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Mine is very grumpy and short with the kids a lot. He goes from being Fun Dad to being Jerk Dad in a split second, and I feel sorry for the kids.

My dad was never ever ever grumpy, especially not with me and my brother.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
My DH went through a bit of a phase where he was becoming grumpy. I put my foot down about it. He could work on his moods and behavior and stay, or he could choose to be a grump all the time, but the family wasn't going to be subjected to it so he would need to choose not to be a part of the family any longer.

That was a little over a year ago, and he's done a LOT of work since then and knows I am completely serious about being willing to walk away if his behavior isn't appropriate. We all have an off day, but he is very much an Aspie and doesn't see how his behavior influences everything around him so he began to have more off days than on. My kids deserve better than to be treated as annoyances. We also have kids on the spectrum, and it was impossible to work with them on appropriate beahavior when he was demonstrating crappy behavior.

YMMV. I have also realized that I prioritize the healthy of the family dynamic a great deal more than my marriage, and I am willing to end the marriage to create happiness, safety and stability for the kids if DH isn't willing to be a positive force within the family. I love him, but life is too short to spend it walking on eggshells. (Oh, and a fabulous therapist who taught me that it was ok to prioritize my well being and that of my children was a huge help for me in getting to this point.) Since he's been willing to do the work, we are in a better place in our marriage than we have been ever, so it's working for us for now anyway.

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
My dad wasn't grumpy, but my husband sure is. I feel like it's inevitable almost. He was a pretty even tempered man, but I guess he hadn't had to put up with a lot of restrictions since he was a child, or something. Now he often acts like he is the most put upon man on earth because they children make noise while he's watching tv. It can be aggravating, but I think a lot of it is work stress coupled with his natural antisocial tendencies. I've gotten pissed at him in the past and told him that of all the people making noise in the house, he is the one who is the most irritating.

·
Registered
185 Posts
FIL and my dad are both quite grumpy. DH used to be grumpier more often than I liked. Now, he is far from it. I don't know what changed but he's definitely getting more content and even keeled as he gets older. I love it.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
My dad was grumpy, his dad was grumpy (well, mostly just drunk), my ex was grumpy. I don't think that my mom's dad was grumpy, per se, but in considering it, I realized why the grumpy stands out. It is so engrained in my family that the man's moods are the woman's responsibility to mend and that, for kids, the worst thing that we could do was to get a hint of disapproval from a man. Whereas a grumpy mood for a woman was her responsibility to magically change before it made someone else grumpy, as opposed to it being her right (as it is for men.). Maybe just my own messed up family dynamics -- who knows.

I also have a working theory that men just aren't as resilient, in general. Change throws them more. Again, that's my experience speaking, not speaking for every man and every woman on the planet.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklefairy View Post

I also have a working theory that men just aren't as resilient, in general. Change throws them more. Again, that's my experience speaking, not speaking for every man and every woman on the planet.
I think so, too.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
My dh was a really grumpy guy, but over the last decade has mellowed out so much!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
My dh isn't grumpy very often. If he is, it is in response to a really bad day at work, or waking up to cat puke on the bottom of his foot, etc.

I am way way way more likely to just BE grumpy for no good reason. But I'm working on it. I believe that people can choose to be grumpy or not. I hate the idea that being mean to those around us is just how it is in a family setting.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
My DH is grumpy all the time. It is getting worse as time goes on. I hate it.

My Dad can be grumpy, but he is mellowing.

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
My dad was almost never grumpy (mind you, he was an alcoholic, and by my mid-teens, he'd almost completely withdrawn from interacting with the family, except on our annual camping trips and at Christmas - but he still wasn't really grumpy...and before his drinking got so bad, he was lots of fun, and a super involved dad.

My ex was...I don't know if I'd say grumpy, exactly. But, he was emotionally abusive, passive-aggressive, and basically just a nightmare to live with. (In addiction to the drug addiction that I sort of knew about at the time - meaning, I knew he had major issues with pot, but he managed to hide the cocaine from me until after the breakup - my ex also turned out to be gay and hadn't admitted it to himself, yet. So, obviously, he had a lot of issues at play, and grumpiness probably wouldn't even have registered on my radar.)

DH is almost a cliche in this area. He's not generally grumpy. But, if we go too long without sex, he's grumpy. He's not "I'm not going to help around here" type grumpy or anything. A lack of sex just has obvious and powerful effects on his mood.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.