Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't even tried to EC yet, but do you think it would work with pocket diapers? I was thinking that would be easier to get off quickly than a prefold and cover or even than a prefold alone (because of the snappi). What do you think? What does your baby wear?

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Anything with a stay-dry lining (like FB's, HH's or 'sposies) is counter productive to ECing because the baby doesn't feel the wet and can more easily disassociate from the feeling of peeing.

I do use pocket fitteds because they are easy to get clean and dry fast, but mine have knit linings not fleece, so baby still feels it. I use just fitteds at home (sometimes put a cover over for night or when I don't have the brain to pay attention enough
and use fleece or PUL aio's (made by me) for going out.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I use fitteds or aIo's...AIo's are, imo, the best for out of the house and fitteds for in the house...especially if they are fitteds that have the pul lining...they tend to be not as waterproof..so you won't miss the pee but if you are soemwhre you would prefer your babies clothes not get wet or you don't hae spare clothes...well it'll keep them and you from getting soaked.

·
Registered
316 Posts
i have used hh pockets exclusively during the day with no problems...but then my ds is a good signaler. i find them quick and easy to get off...and now he is aware enough that when he needs to go, he knows how to get the dipe off all by himself...which isnt always a good thing! lol

we use bifolds/prefolds with covers at night, and they do take a few extra seconds to get off and refastened, but it is normally no big deal.

if you are worried about the 'stay dry' issue, then i would suggest a fitted or an aio.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The only thing with pocket diapers is you have to get good at deciphering if it's wet or dry. Some of them are hard to tell (suedecloth especially) while others aren't so hard to tell (Fuzzi Bunz). I had my daughter in FB a lot at daycare and I don't think it phased her EC one bit. In fact, starting at 15/16 mo, she would tell me when her FB was wet. I think it feels heavier to her or something.

AIOs with snap-in soakers are a bit easier to tell if the soaker is wet, because you can stick your finger in the non-stay-dry part of it.

BUT, part of EC is also the baby feeling the wet and you changing it right away, and so pocket diapers aren't really the best for that.

There do exist waterproof training pants that hold a pee in and don't leak everywhere. That's what we prefer to use these days if we want waterproof (or else we use non-waterproof training pants with Gerber plastic pants over the top, since it all can pull up and down for pottying). You can check out the training pants reviews at Diaperpin.com for some ideas, or check out the EC store (http://www.theecstore.com)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts