Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 10-week baby seems to be hibernating for the winter!

he has been super alert and AWAKE since birth. sleeps great at night for about 8-9 hours, catnaps in the day with maybe one nap of an hour or so. definitely has been on the low end of total hours sleeping spectrum, but always happy and bright-eyed during his long stretches of awake time.

since it got really cold here a week ago, he can't seem to sleep enough. he has been taking 3 hour naps every day! he only wants to be awake for 1-2 hours at a time and then sleep 1-2 hours.

I guess it's a good thing -- he is always happy as anything when he wakes up. am I crazy to think that winter has something to do with these new habits?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I found that when ds was a little baby, if I put him in a fleece sleeper with a fleece swaddling blanket and a hat on his head, he would sleep a lot more than usual and be sleepy all day long. Thankfully I only did this a couple times before I figured out that I was overheating him. Babies sleep more deeply when they are overheated, but it causes them thermal stress. I was just trying to keep him warm enough because he was a newborn and it was winter, and I didn't want to crank the heat due to all my postpartum sweating.

I'm not saying this is the case with your baby. Just putting it out there as a warning. I don't know how you're dressing him.

It could also be that he is consolidating his naps.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
My baby sleeps like that during growth spurts. Days of super alertness followed by days of nothing but sleepiness.

That being said, all mammals go through some winter-time changes. Usually we get sleepier and our metabolism slows down (to conserve energy during times of food shortage), it's probably the same for babies too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.