Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our just over 1 year old cat had the rabies vaccine when she was neutered. We just got a notice that she's due for another shot ??? Is this necessary? I only want to give our cats what they have to get according to pet license requirements and nothing more, and of course rabies is on there. Is a booster or a second shot required too? It just says must be vaxed against rabies, no details. I don't want to ask my vet because he thinks all cats need all their shots every year.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
My cats are basically unvaxed, but i was required to show "proof of vaccination, esp rabies" in order to get a (child)foster license....so i took them the other day, to get a rabies vax only. (I was surprised that they didnt give me any grief at all and did not try to sell me any other vaccines, nor "scare" me into getting anything else...this was Banfield Hospital, inside Petsmart, they were super nice, and i only had to pay like $35 to get two cats their rabies shots...anyway....)It was explained to me that the shot is good for a year the first time, but the second one is good for three years. Dont know why.<br><br><br>
Katherine

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I don't know the laws in Canada, but in the US it varies by state. In Arkansas the law is a rabies booster every year (because of a high insidence of rabies). Most states are only every 3 years after the initial shot and booster 1 year later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts