Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does my baby have a funky butt? Is it because of the cloth dipes? I use half pockets and half prefolds/Thirsties covers. I am wiping her butt at every change, but I just use plain water on a flannel or terry cloth square. Even after her bath I can smell her funk.
My son was in disposables and I don't remember ever having this problem!

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
What exactly does it smell like? Do the diapers stink? Is it her skin or rear or vagina? Is she chubby with folds? Are they dry? Does she have any yeast or thrush issues otherwise?

My guy would tend to smell like a butt if he went too long without a bath.

You might try a mild solution on the wipes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
do the diapers stink as soon as they get wet? If so, they might need to be "stripped"--you can google this for more info, but basically they build up a detergent residue that gets in the way of optimal functioning. Mine get this stinky, skunky smell every so often and I have to strip them---usually a few extra washes in hottest water possible after the first one with soap, and sometimes I throw in half a cup of vinegar and that helps get the funky smell out of the diapers.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, maybe I will try stripping along with a solution for the wipes. She doesn't have any yeasty issues but does have chubby folds and usually seems dry in the folds. I have noticed an almost skunky smell on the dipes when they're wet--usually the overnight one that she's in for 8-10 hours is the worst offender. Thanks for the ideas!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
If my kids go to long without a bath they have funky butt smell, and our nighttime diapers always have a little stronger of a smell, but the daytime dipes dont smell at all so I think it is a result of the pee sitting in the dipe for so long. I use just plain water on my wipes to. After a bath the smell is gone though. Id say as long as her regular diapers dont smell (and are all one stash meaning you use the same dipes for day and night) I wouldnt worry and maybe bath when she starts to smell.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i'll just add that using a bit a tea tree essential oil or lavender essential oil in your wipe water... also they probably need to stripped as the other ladies said.. but i've never smelt anything funky on my little one's tush if his diapers needed to be stripped, just the diapers themselves when they got wet. good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.