Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my husband is on a full out education campaign. He works with a lot of men and is always talking about: bfing, circ-ing, natural birth, and of course, co-sleeping. He has made great strides to educate men and encourage them to use their god-given/nature-given common sense.

Well one of our favorite thought provoking questions when discussing co-sleeping is to say, "Do you know any mammals that put their baby in another area to sleep? They don't, b/c it isn't safe."

Well somone told my hubby that deer DON'T co-sleep. Frankly, I find this incredibly hard to believe. Add to it, that the man also told my hubby that birds don't either....well despite the fact that they share a nest, and that they aren't mammals...but whatever.

So I'm looking for websites and the like to show this know-it-all

TIA
Amy

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
It's true... deer don't co-sleep, at least not all the time.

A deer will 'stash' their young somewhere safe and go off for a few hours when they are feeding. I was told it was probably because young deer just can't run fast enough to get away from predators. Newborn deer are wired to remain absolutely still when they are not with their mothers though, unlike humans.

The real question here is... how much like a deer do you really want to be :LOL

Humans aren't as likely to be munched on by predators so we haven't needed that adaptation. Also, a baby human is much more helpless than a baby deer since we can't walk from birth etc.

sorry to burst the bubble on that one though...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yup, deer/gazelle/etc don't co sleep at first
Fawns are safer alone since they don't have much of a scent to attract predators - moms stash them away and only come to feed them occasionally. Once they can keep up with mom though, I guess you'd say they "co-sleep" since at that point they always stay together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts