Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All...my first post in this forum. We have had 2 boxers, but from puppies. Both died around age 7-8 of cancer. Both were very high energy, very responsive...that is what we love about boxers. You look them in the eye and they cock thier heads and just totally are on the same wave length. Every boxer I have known has this demeaner. One of our boxers was much more laid back, the other more high needs, but both really peppy dogs. Even at the end when each was dying, they still could be roused into playing.

So yesterday night we took in a boxer that our friends found wandering the country. We took him to the vet this morning, called the humane society to see if anyone has reported one missing, etc....and we will keep him if we can't find his home.

But he is sooo very unresponsive. We thought for the first 12 hours that he was deaf. My 21 month old would run circle around him screaming and he wouldnt even look up. I cant get him to chase a ball, nothing. Vet says he is in pretty good health...just needs food and love....he is only 2, so not old.

He just lays here, very loving, very kind, but nearly dormant.

Anyone have advice??

· Registered
1,423 Posts
doesn't sound depressed to me, but scared and trying to figure out how to fit in with his new "pack"

when we rescued our dog the foster home told us all about her high energy and bouncy personality. we were thrilled b/c we wanted a dog who could keep up with us on our walks & hikes.

then we get her home and she hid under tables for 3 days.
it took about 2 weeks for the real her to emerge again. and, even then we practically had to teach her how to play with her new toys. no one in her previous home had ever played with her so she had no idea what to do.

what we tell new dogs adopters is -

- be patient while he works out his quirks
- reward him generously with high praise and pets if he approaches you
- allow him alone time and allow him to easily "escape" from your son if he wants to
- expect a few potty accidents while they learn the new routines and schedules at your home

thank you for taking him in and giving him a good home. i'm sure he'll be back to normal soon.

· Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It is very odd though, and maybe you can offer more insight.....

He is very NOT timid. No hiding or wanting to stay out of the line of fire. He very calmy sits at my feet, scoots to me until I scratch his chin, just went and curled up in bed with DD2 for nap, will walk right in the middle of anything going on without being fazed. But he has literally, NO emotion. I can run up to him and yell HEY! and clap, and he doesnt flinch, just gives me a very blank stare. We go outside on the leash, I walk then stop, he just sits next to me...dogs come by and bark and it is like he doesnt even know it. It is just very odd. He isnt skiddish, not really timid, doesnt seem very scared, but just totally emotionless.

· Registered
1,423 Posts
depending on the situation he was in, he may have gotten a bunch of negative reinforcement if he "acted up" or got too excited.

as you well know from owning a boxer before they can be pretty wild when young. many owners use harsh methods to correct this which leave a lifetime impression on the dog - as in, when i acted excited before i got hit, thrown outside, whatever.

i wouldn't worry too much. it's probably a wait and see thing with him - give him a week.

· Registered
3,106 Posts
He reminds me of my greyhound when we first adopted him. He wasn't scared but didn't react much to anything and didn't seek out affection. It took several months to get him to feel more comfortable but he did. It was very rewarding for us, seeing him start to wag his tail, get excited when we come home from work, etc. He just needed to settle in and bond with us a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.