Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm only 6 weeks, but I unexpectedly found that I'm totally drawn to homebirthing this time around. I'm just starting to read and research, and I know I'll have a hell of a time trying to get my husband and family okay with it (and yes, I know my family doesn't actually have a say in my decision, but I would like them to feel comfortable).

Anyway. My question is.. I weigh 270 lbs and I'm 5'2", which makes me almost 150 lbs overweight.
I've been similarly overweight with my other two pregnancies (my first I started at 219, and my second I started at 240). I've had totally uncomplicated pregnancies and births, no high blood pressure, no gestational diabetes, nothing.

Will my weight alone disqualify me for a homebirth? If it matters, I'm in Massachusetts, just north of Boston.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I know nothing about Mass. law with regard to birth.

Here in FL, there is a risk assessment that each midwife gives each client. In this risk assessment, you would have a risk score of 3, which would mean that you would need to consult with another doctor (OB). This happens all the time at the clinic where I work. The OB checks everything out and sends you back to the clinic for prenatal care, unless something else comes up.

So, in essence, weight alone would not necessarily risk you out. HTH!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
IMO, if you have a uterus and a birth canal and ever plan on giving birth, you "qualify" for a hb.

I personally always start out at a normal weight, but gain on average approx 60 lbs during pregnancy. I have never had gd or blood pressure issues. It's the norm for my pregnancies. I am careful to find mws that are ok with this.

Do your research, interview carefully and find a midwife that will support you!

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
I don't think your weight alone would risk you out, especially since you've had two uncomplicated pregnancies already. Check out www.massmidwives.org to find a homebirth midwife in your area and start a dialogue. You won't know for sure until you ask a provider.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.