Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being an AP Mama, I'm struggling with separating my soon-to-be mama goat and her kids at night to milk in the morning. Do I have to separate them to milk in the morning?

I've heard/read conflicting opinions. My goat breeder is adamant that I separate them or I won't have any milk. Fiasco Farms says I can leave them together.

What do you think? What do you do?

Does anyone teat tape? Does that work?

Thanks so much!!

· Registered
4,448 Posts
I don't separate mine at night. That's too heartbreaking. I separate them during the day and milk at night. That way they have their moms to snuggle with during the cooler hours. Personally, I haven't had much luck milking without a period of separation. Maybe I'm not patient enough. I'm not going to dirty a bucket for a few squirts. I find when they are nursing they tend to hold back some of their milk for their baby, so when you milk, milk as much as you can to maximize production.

· Registered
717 Posts
I plan to let the kids nurse when they are born. I just couldn't deprive them of their mama milk.

I will let them nurse for the first two weeks per the fiasco farms site, then seperate at night to have morning milkings.

· Registered
25 Posts
Also if you separate them all day and put them together only at night the babies will keep the mamas up all night nursing which could make for cranky mamas.

I'm going to separate at night and let them play together during the day after we milk. My babies will have a LGD or a Donkey (and each other) for nighttime company.

· Registered
4,448 Posts
I've never had trouble with the day time separation. I'm not a real stickler about timing. Maybe I get out at 10 am to let the mamas out to pasture, so I guess they are together all night and some during the day too. Animals don't really sleep the way we do. I don't know about goats - horses sleep 5-7 hours in 20-50 short sleep sessions a day. I tried the night time separation once, but the baby cried. He was a single birth though. Maybe with more it wouldn't be so bad. I reckon the reason folks want a morning milking is because milk production is peak in the morning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.