Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm nursing my 15mo 3-4 times per day..She nurses a lot first thing in the morning and just before nap and bed and sometimes I extra time in there somewhere..

Do I need to be eating extra calories at this point? I'm not trying to starve myself but I would like to lose a little weight..

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Kellymom recommends at least 1500 calories daily and a weight loss of not more than 1.5 lbs per week (which is safe dieting practice anyway).

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mo...eightloss.html

The issue, IMO, is twofold:
1) If you cut back calories drastically it could negatively effect your milk supply.
2) The "nasty" chemicals you store in your body are fat soluble (so stored in your fat stores). As you loose weight, and fat, they are released--- if bfeeding, to your baby. If you loose weight quickly that could be bad.

Personally, I would also encourage you to increase your nursing depending on your nursing goals (at least two years? more?) and to be aware that 10-15 months is a low time, 18-22 months a "high" time for nursing (so increases).

Just be aware of how *you* feel (hungry? dehydrated? if you start getting sick from lack of calories, etc...) and take it easy. With my first, I also ended up loosing a significant amount of weight after about 18 months with no effort. I think your body holds onto a bit of weight while soley nourishing your child, but then looses it as it looses that need. Of course, since I didn't loose it with DS and I also had mono around then with DD... *that* could be it :LOL

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I nurse her more often could that possibly keep me from ovulating? We're TTC #3 so I'd really like to keep ovulating..

Also will her nursing all the time be okay if I got pg? I don't have a set time on how long I'd like to nurse her..We'll wean when she's ready I guess..

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stayseeliz
If I nurse her more often could that possibly keep me from ovulating? We're TTC #3 so I'd really like to keep ovulating..

Also will her nursing all the time be okay if I got pg? I don't have a set time on how long I'd like to nurse her..We'll wean when she's ready I guess..

Thanks!

DD was nursing well over 20 times a day when I started ovulating and was definately at least in the 10-15 range when I got pg with DS. If you are TTC are you sure you are ovulating (not just having non-ovulatory periods)?

And yes, you can safely nurse through pregnancy (assuming you have no history of previous pre-term labor). I and many others on these boards have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts