Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going to be ttc#2 in September, and I am worried about my avidly nursing almost 19 month old going through a sudden drop in milk supply. I know this is probably an unpopulasr choice on this board but I really don't want to tandem nurse. He adamantly has refused to drink any kind of milk int he past (I haven't forced the issue b/c the organic milks are so $$$!) and only drinks breastmilk and water from a straw/sippy cup sometimes.

He isn't that into food on a consistent basis and is funny about texture. Just likes beans, cheese, and anything bread/cracker/pasta/processed, etc. He will not eat fruit in any form and will not eat veggies...except sometimes I can sneak some spinach and peppers into a quesadilla and he will eat that.

Up until about a month ago, when he wanted breastmilk I would just give it to him instead of putting a plate of fruit and veggie bits in front of him that I know he will just throw on the floor. In the past month I have gotten better about trying to offer him healthy choices for several small meals a day and limiting the "snack food" he eats (like pretzels, goldfish, veggie booty, crackers, etc.). He still throws all the fruit and veggie bits on the floor and ends up just eating the beans, cheese, and macaroni I give him.

So what do I do? He is getting his teeth late and has four in with six others comin in at once right now. I don't want to withhold milk if that is comforting him with teething and giving him some nutrition, but I also am not sure if I should be starting to try to get him to drink other forms of milk (rice, soy, goat, cow, etc.) or if I should step up my efforts to encourage him to eat fruits/veggies to prepare him for the drop in my supply. I feel nutritionally challenged and I am sick to death of wasting so much money on these "healthy" choices that are ending up on the floor
: Help me please!!!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Humans really NEED human milk for at least 2 years as your son is telling you. Perhaps you could wait a few more months to TTC to see if he starts cutting back on his own?

-Angela

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
Humans really NEED human milk for at least 2 years as your son is telling you. Perhaps you could wait a few more months to TTC to see if he starts cutting back on his own?

-Angela
:

·
Registered
459 Posts
I wouldn't make any changes to your nursing relationship to try to get him to eat or drink other things, or because you might become pregnant and experience a drop in your milk supply. I imagine that if your milk supply does drop at some point, your son will naturally compensate by eating more solids, without you really having to do anything to encourage that.

In the meantime, I would just keep offering healthy foods and maybe try not to give him too many other options of processed/snack foods. I know it's hard because you're always worried about whether they're eating "enough," but my personal view is that they're better off eating a lower quantity of healthy food supplemented with as much breastmilk as they want, versus a higher quantity of processed food that fills them up but doesn't provide the nutrients they really need.

To address issues of texture, maybe try making fruit smoothies instead of whole fruit. My DS likes to drink anything through a straw, so fruit smoothies made from frozen bananas blended with other fresh fruit and a little juice are a huge hit with him. He will also drink yogurt through a straw, making the process of eating it a lot more efficient and a lot less messy than if he uses a spoon. You could also try blending cooked vegetables into a dip - I find that my DS loves to dip his food into any kind of sauce. Particularly if he sees us doing it, he is quick to imitate. Maybe incorporate things he likes, like beans and cheese, into the veggie dip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts