Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, last night I woke up half ontop of my almost 8 month old, she was waving her arms, almost trying to push me off of her. I must have fallen asleep while nursing her with my left breast (I sleep on my right side and my left breast gets really engorged if I don't feed her with it at least once) anyway, I'm concerned now, I've never done that before and have always slept light next to her. She is starting to sleep a little better though, so i wonder if i'm getting into a deeper sleep now. Has this ever happened to anyone? Am I in danger of suffocating her?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evelynmia'smom View Post
So, last night I woke up half ontop of my almost 8 month old, she was waving her arms, almost trying to push me off of her. I must have fallen asleep while nursing her with my left breast (I sleep on my right side and my left breast gets really engorged if I don't feed her with it at least once) anyway, I'm concerned now, I've never done that before and have always slept light next to her. She is starting to sleep a little better though, so i wonder if i'm getting into a deeper sleep now. Has this ever happened to anyone? Am I in danger of suffocating her?
It's interesting that no one's responded yet. I wonder if it has anything to do with this rule: "When a parent posts here to discuss struggles with co-sleeping and asks for advice members should post with suggestions to ease problems and encouragement to support co-sleeping, not to advise against it. Posts of that nature are not appropriate."? Although you're specifically asking, so not sure if that would apply.

Anyways. I can't offer much in the way of real-life, BTDT advice (only a mama-in-waiting as it were), so all I can say is that if I were the one to wake up in that situation, I *personally* wouldn't feel comfortable continuing to co-sleep until the baby was old enough to not worry about possible roll-overs/suffocation. If I woke up like that, even once, I would know that possibility exists (that I could roll-over onto baby and not wake up immediately), and couldn't take the risk that it could happen again, possibly with consequences. But that's me, kinda risk-averse I guess, lol.

There could possibly be ways to work around it, make it more safe if you do fall into a deep sleep again, but I don't know what they would be. I hope you figure something out that makes you feel safe and works for your family!

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Were you more tired than usual last night? Had you had any alcohol? Just gathering information

When I need to switch sides, I roll over and roll the baby over with me. This way, I'm never laying "over" her. Does that make sense? Yes, I wake up more, but it's safer for us to do it that way.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
What about using a crib sidecar style? Or do you think you'd fall asleep nursing her and forget to scoot her back over?

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Quote:
When I need to switch sides, I roll over and roll the baby over with me. This way, I'm never laying "over" her. Does that make sense? Yes, I wake up more, but it's safer for us to do it that way.
This. I do sometimes feed from the left breast while laying on my right side but only during the day. At nighttime I move her from one side to the other.

I do agree if you are uncomfortable with bedsharing it would be time make some changes, but personally moving the babe from my bed and still trying to nightnurse would exhaust me, thus making more prone to falling asleep in a dangerous way with the babe.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post
This. I do sometimes feed from the left breast while laying on my right side but only during the day. At nighttime I move her from one side to the other.

I do agree if you are uncomfortable with bedsharing it would be time make some changes, but personally moving the babe from my bed and still trying to nightnurse would exhaust me, thus making more prone to falling asleep in a dangerous way with the babe.
:
My SIL nearly squished both her kids as babies because of getting up to nurse them in a chair.

And you probably are getting into a deeper sleep. Maybe try setting a couple alarms to divide the night into thirds and change her to the other side and other breast at each division?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Do you think it was something to do with feeding her on the left breast? As you had to lean right over instead of staying level on your right side for your right breastfeeding? And you nodded off?

I would say, if you were having a normal night and not more tired than usual, then I would suggest you actually sit up in bed for the feeding on the left breast for a bit, just to reset yourself. I find if I am ultra vigilant for a bit about a certain area of co-sleeping, it resets my mind and body.

For me though I think might see this as meaning it's time for some kind of change. Not necessarily to stop cosleeping but something in the set up needs to change. It's better to try something different than you find yourself repeating this I would think?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poogles0213 View Post
, I *personally* wouldn't feel comfortable continuing to co-sleep until the baby was old enough to not worry about possible roll-overs/suffocation. If I woke up like that, even once, I would know that possibility exists (that I could roll-over onto baby and not wake up immediately), and couldn't take the risk that it could happen again, possibly with consequences. But that's me, kinda risk-averse I guess, lol.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Were you more tired than usual or drank some alcohol? Also trying to gather information.
I would make sure that the baby is leveled with your breast because I think you were trying to feed your baby with your left breast on your right side. That being said I don't think you should stop co sleeping unless you're worried about it happening again but I really think the reason it happened was because of the way you were feeding your baby. Maybe make some arrangements like a side crib...I co sleep with my baby and he slept in the middle of dh and I. I'm a very light sleeper plus all the feedings at night I wouldn't let dh roll over the baby. One day I woke up and part of the sheet on my bed was on part of the baby's face. So since that day I've adjusted to where he doesn't sleep in the middle anymore and I sleep face to face with him instead of him in my arms so I'm more aware of not covering both of us up with the sheet.

The point is you adjust to what makes you and baby happy. I know that like someone said there are risks involved sometimes but at least I would know the reason if we ever had an emergency. If I were in that situation I would still cosleep just because I'd be more afraid of sids than anything else, but that's just me. Good Luck hth

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone...I don't know what to do, I have been sick all day over it. I wasn't more tired than usual and had nothing to drink. I just fell asleep trying to feed her from my left breast. I am starting to feel as though I've been given a gift and that this could have been way more serious and the thought of something like that happening to my baby makes me want to die. She will not sleep in her crib without lots and lots of protest crying...we've tried everything, side car, crib in our room, pack n play....I feel like I am going to have to sleep in her room and try all night to get her back to sleep in her crib and just be a zombie the next day. I am so depressed about this.

·
Registered
595 Posts
So, you feel like you have been given a 'second chance' and don't want to tept fate again? I've had that feeling a lot as a mother, no just with co-sleeping. Just wait until your kid falls and gets a bump on the head, or runs towards a busy street. You may never leave the house again.

Seriously though, my youngest sleeps on a small receiving blanket on our bed. I nurse her laying on my right side before bed, then in the middle of the night, I pull the blanked over (with her on it) to the other side and sleep/nurse her on the left side. So far it has worked really well.

I've almost squished the babies before when I've been really tired. I sleep very lightly the next few nights.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I am surprised that nobody has said this yet but... this is really nothing to be scared about, but something to be happy about! You should be happy that your intution is there that you woke up and felt something was off. That is part of the instict that comes with being connected with your child.

I would not worry but I would be careful to not do things that might put me in a similar position again and I would be thankful that even while tired I was alert and able to respond appropriately to my child.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
I am surprised that nobody has said this yet but... this is really nothing to be scared about, but something to be happy about! You should be happy that your intution is there that you woke up and felt something was off. That is part of the instict that comes with being connected with your child.

I would not worry but I would be careful to not do things that might put me in a similar position again and I would be thankful that even while tired I was alert and able to respond appropriately to my child.

That is so true! I never thought of it that way. When that little incident happened to me yeah I made changes to accommodate both me and ds but I did feel guilty for a little bit like omg what have I done...but now that you've mentioned it I did have some intuition to wake up right then and assess the situation. Thanks for your post

·
Registered
43 Posts
I totally understand your feeling sick over this -- I have felt that way too many times! I don't know how your house or living arrangement is set up, but when my son was about 8 or 9 months old he insisted on sleeping sideways in the bed and kicking me in the boobs all night. It was time for a change. My son also REFUSED the crib. Here is what worked for us: I put up a babygate at our bedroom door (the kind of gate you can swing open and latch closed) to keep pets out, baby in. We already had our queen bed pushed into the corner of the bedroom, and we laid a futon mattress (no frame, just the mattress) down on the floor next to our bed. This turned one entire wall into a family bed. I also babyproofed the entire room floor to ceiling. At night and at naps I would lay down to nurse my son on the futon mattress instead of our bed, and once he feel asleep I would just get up to sleep in our bed and leave him on the futon mattress. In the beginning it was tough to sleep without him right under my nose, but eventually it worked great.
Good luck!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by almadianna View Post

ITA

It happened the way it would logically happen. Your kid was probably thinking what the heck mama get off me and you woke up and promptly moved.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.