Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning a home water birth with a kiddie pool. We don't have anything in our lease regarding water beds or anything like that, and he's generally pretty laid back. However, his wife is also pregnant with their first and I really don't want to get into a conversation about home birth.

Do we have to tell our landlord we are having a baby in his house?

· Registered
5,655 Posts
For me, this falls under 'things we do in the privacy of our own home'. We do not tell our landlord or neighbors what we are planning (or after the fact--we aren't that close to our neighbors and don't want to freak out our landlord). When I was first pregnant with DS, living in a different city and planning a HB, I did tell my neighbor but only because I considered her to be a good friend, knew she's be supportive (she offered to let my birth team hang out at her house if I needed my space!), etc. But never would I tell a landlord. Too much risk of them freaking out.

· Registered
3,612 Posts
well I view having a baby kinda like having sex... and I don't call my landlord and tell him that... so... heh

· Registered
472 Posts
I'm a landlord now, and I probably wouldn't tell your landlord ahead of time. I've learned that it's often better to ask for forgiveness if necessary than to ask for permission, especially for this kind of thing where it really won't do any harm. Why make an issue of something that shouldn't be one? We've told our tenants that we're planning a homebirth, but it's a bit different when you're the owner of the house. Now, if one of our tenants told us they were planning to have their baby at home, I'd be thrilled and supportive, but I'm biased.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and I hope your birth goes beautifully!

· Registered
3,612 Posts
so funny - today our of nowhere our neighbor (who is really good friends with our landlord) says "are you planning on having a homebirth?"

to which my husband quickly retorts in a joking manner "what? only crazy people have homebirths!" and left it at that.

and the guy says "yeah I know!" and then realized that my husband might have been joking... so the guy clearly wasn't sure what to say so just changed the subject

sometimes it just best to find a way of jokingly saying "non-ya-business!" and leave it at that.

· Registered
134 Posts
I didn't want to tell my landlord but felt forced into it when she suggested she do some work on the house while I was in the hospital (so as not to disturb us).

"Thank you for thinking about us, but ..."

I didn't tell her that we were going to set up the watertub.

· Registered
1,287 Posts
We live in a parsonage (owned by the church) and will definitely NOT be telling them. It's just one of those things they don't need to know prior. But we've never really had to 'ask permission' for things before- we basically just tell them when something is broken and they fix it.

If his wife is pregnant and they aren't into homebirth it sounds like you'd just be asking for trouble.

· Registered
1,343 Posts
I'm planning a HB for August and will not be telling my landlord, though I am considering telling my immediate neighbor....we live in a duplex-type townhouse with one unit right next to us: we are somewhat close to them and I just want to warn them in case they hear weird sounds in the middle of the night(or day). I don't want them to think one of us is dying or something. Though I am doing hypnobabies, so hopefully I won't be making any weird sounds at all.
But, just in case.

· Registered
2,423 Posts
We didn't tell ours, but they loved the fact once she was here!

Funny anecdote: after the birth was over our midwives emptied the pool on the front lawn and then filled it again with a cleansing solution and left it up for a day. All our neighbors thought I'd given birth on the front lawn and were wondering how they'd missed it!

· Registered
420 Posts
Where we are currently, were were not planning on disclosing the place of birth. It just seemed like asking for trouble.

We're moving this weekend and the new landlords actually brought it up and asked if we were having a HB (they're from another country where mw+hb= norm) and I was surprised they asked, but said yes and they had no problem with it.

· Registered
2,847 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Lion View Post
Funny anecdote: after the birth was over our midwives emptied the pool on the front lawn and then filled it again with a cleansing solution and left it up for a day. All our neighbors thought I'd given birth on the front lawn and were wondering how they'd missed it!

That is hilarious!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.