Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Well my 3.5 yo DS has been going to 2xday per week montessori, It has been somewhat speratic do to him be sick off and on, so we are not really in a routine yet. But my son still cries everytime I have to go, says he does not want to stay there. Never wants to talk about school, says he dosen't like and comes out angry and dark. I conflicted, the teacher says he is fine within minutes after<em> </em>I leave. But i have noticed when I peak in on him during circile time he looks bored, he looks like he is not having fun! I rarely have anything for art works in his basket, and he has no interest in talking about his day. Also he I can tell he is really not conecting well with on of teachers he tries to avoid shaking her hand good bye. I can tell he is uncomfortable! My ds is al little bit more reserved and quiet than most kids, it takes him along time to warm up! It takes alot to motivate him in other things also, its just how he is. After talking with the teachers they want me to just leave him crying, When we are not at school we should not talk at all about school with him unless he brings it up and let him lead the talk. They feel maybe I'm projecting that he is not able to do this, and that he is picking up on my uneasyness. I'm not sure what to do</p>
<p>I not sure I can leave my kid their crying!  </p>

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
<p>I see little ones crying at drop off. It happens. Seeing him bored during the day,and avoiding one of the teachers would concern me more. If it were me I would probably do a few more days,and if my child still disliked it I would keep him home. If you keep him home does he ask to go to M?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am not one to force the issue by making the kids go.If they are not happy after giving it some time then we either take a break or try another school.</p>

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
<p>I think 2 days a week is really hard at that age - it's not often enough to get a routine going, and might even feel a bit random to the child. That + illness makes it really hard to say if it's an adjustment issue or a fit issue. It's a tough one. Does he have a calendar where he can mark the days and be prepared to go? You could try that for the rest of the month and then make a decision.</p>

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
<p>From what I understand, it takes about the same number of days in a new activity for a kid to get used to it. So if a kid who goes 5 days a week is used to things by the end of week 2, it'll take 5 weeks for a 2 days a week kid--assuming no days are missed.</p>

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
<p>Also, not taking art home is so that the child can concentrate on exploring the materials without feeling like they need to produce something to take home. He'd only be taking stuff home if he happened to complete something he felt like sharing.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Have the teachers talked to you about what he actually does? It seems, from stories here, that the two most common answers young kids have to "what did you do in school today?" are "nothing" and "ate lunch/snack".</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts