Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or can I just let them all grow up? What will happen if they are too crowded? Will they be stunted?
In particular, it's carrots, mustards, lettuces (red oak leaf, romaine) outside, and in pots: broccoli, parsely, thyme, oregano.
I'm having a hard time plucking up the little babies, but I do want them to grow...

· Registered
1,125 Posts
You really should. Otherwise your plants will be competing for water, nutrients,light, and just plain old space. None of them will grow to their full potential. On a positive not, though, much of what you are growing can be harvested and used small, instead of just tossed into the compost.

You should check out the book Square Foot Gardening- even if you don't garden his way, there is some good info there on why seeds need their space, and he advocates just planting them that far aprt to begin with. I've had a lot of luck with it, with only a few seeds not germinating.

· Registered
27,266 Posts
Nope, you can just grow them farther apart to begin with, or transplant them as they start to crowd in. I'm assuming you've added lots of composted soil to your bed and keep things watered. The year I was really lazy and just poured the seeds in a line in the garden I still got lots of carrots. Some were tiny, some were in pairs twisted around each other, some were just curvy, but they all tasted good.

The lady at the garden center when I bought this year's plants said that I might wait until they formed baby carrots and basically do two harvests for each crop of carrots. I.e. wait to thin until they're usable.

· Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I thinned the mustards and ate them, they were pretty good. As soon as I can I'll do the carrots, though I like the idea of harvesting them as babies...
Lots of compost - we bought a truckload and mixed our topsoil half and half to make raised beds.
As far as water, we got record rainfall in May, so I didn't bother, but when it's dry, we water.
thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.