Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.<br><br>
I have a Maya wrap that I do not use b/c I do not like the rings, the tail, the bunched up fabric, or making all of those adjustments, it's just too much. I've just never gotten the hang of it.<br><br>
Anyway, I am considering getting a pouch; for some reason, they just seem like they'd be easier to work with. I just had dd #2 on the 15th and would like to start getting her in and used to being worn as I think it would make life with dd #1 much easier (she's 2).<br><br>
Any suggestions as to what would work well for a newborn, and to hopefully make hands free nursing easy? I would probably like to get something in cotton as I think fleece would be too warm and I know I can't stand being overly warm.<br><br>
Thanks for all your suggestions!<br>
Jessica

·
Registered
545 Posts
I would say that pouches are very easy in all the ways that you mentioned, except hands-free nursing. Pouches don't have rings or bunch or twist as easily as a ring sling, but you can't tighten the baby right up to the breast like you can with a Maya Wrap. However, I have hardly found the occasion where I couldn't sit and nurse - I just tell my older child to wait. Also, if you have a big baby and a perfectly fitting pouch, it may work.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I had the same issues you did with the Mayawrap - and it just seemed like it was overwhelming to me in the first weeks as a new parent. My pouch was so much more user friendly and I must say I did/do hands free nurse in it - just not very discretely, and not until dd had some head control. I think it is key to have a pouch that fits well. HTH - good luck to you!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Go for an adjustable pouch. I love my maya wrap but just got a maya pouch. I first tried a regular pouch but couldnt get it sized right. The maya pouch is very comfy for me but the zippers are bulky - kinda wish I had held out for a mama milk pouch mammasmilk.com or mamasmilk.com

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
It's finally time to retire my well-loved Maya,so I just ordered an adjustable ring pouch from <a href="http://www.wisewomansling.com" target="_blank">www.wisewomansling.com</a> made by MDC mama wemoon. I don't have it yet so I can't tell you how I like it, but you should go read the reviews. I'm really excited b/c I think the pouch will work better, especially for back-wearing (which is so difficult w/ the Maya) and the bunching-up always bugged the hell out of me too, and it looks like Jeni's design fixes that problem. Plus her fabrics are so cool!<br><br>
I also have a KKAFP which is super easy to use, but it's not adjustable enough for me, I find nursing in it very difficult, I think I will like the versatility of the wisewomanslingbetter.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
I didn't get along with my Maya wrap either - too much messing with the rings and I didn't feel like it was secure, almost as if the fabric was slipping through the rings.<br><br>
I now have a Hotsling pouch (with a 2nd one on the way) and a Wise Woman sling. I love both of them - just being able to pop DS into the Hotsling and go, or the adjustability of the Wise Woman. I don't have any of the problems with the WW that I had with the Maya.<br><br>
LB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts