Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, this sentence actually came out of my MIL's mouth yesterday. I was actually talking to DH about something and she was standing right there running her mouth about how huge I am when that fell out of her mouth. I just pretended I couldn't hear her. Can you believe the things that people say to pregnant women? She tells me at least once a week how huge I am. I swear I'd love to ship her off to freakin' Antartica or some other very far away place
Sorry, just had to rant a bit
!

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Was I supposed to answer to the original question? Cause if so, then yes!
People always laugh when they see me! Especially when I tell them I'm not due until the end of September!

Sorry your MIL is being a jerk, mine's a bit of an idiot when it comes to saying whatever is on her mind too!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
How rude! I finally got my mom to lay off with the comments about how big I am by telling her I've gained 10 less pounds than with my first pregnancy and that not a single person besides my family has said anything except commenting that I don't look as far along as I actually am. Grr.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
That is horrid! It still amazes me that people feel the need to comment on a pregnant woman's body. Good for you for just ignoring her & not totally blowing up. I don't know if I could have controlled myself so well
:

·
Registered
529 Posts
My mil said some similar horrible things to me when we went for a visit a few weeks back. I'm thankful most of the time that we don't live that close to family. Sometimes, however, I wish we did.
Anyway, to answer the question, YES people laugh at me. In a mean way too.
About a week ago I was somewhere with my family when this lady and her daughter sat there and made fun of my swollen feet/ankles and fat arms, oh and look how huge her belly is, etc etc. It totally hurt my feelings. Thankfully dh didn't hear any of it or he would have put that lady in her place. I just ignored it and tried to get out of there as fast as possible.
Sometimes people suck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi,

Visiting from the Feb 07 group.

Nothing made me more mad when I was pregnant with my son than rude comments like that. With it being at the end of my pregnancy and my hormons, I'm really very surprised I didn't punch anyones lights out who made comments like that. The worst one I would ALWAYS heard was 'are you SURE you aren't having twins?' Grrrrrrrr!

Uggg, people can be so darn rude to pregnant women.

Take heart though hun, you'll soon have a precious new baby and all those comments will just be a distant memory.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I was informed last night that I was a whale by my BIL. And that if I got up to 5 kids (we were discussing family size) he was getting me a shirt with a sperm whale on it. Or that says 'I'm a sperm whale' or something. He's an idiot, I don't really worry about it. I'm pretty freakin critical of myself and how I look and I don't even think I look bad...
:
And this same guy, about 6 weeks ago, told me I hadn't gained enough for that far along.

I swear, I fight with my BIL more than anyone else... we act more like siblings than my hubby and him do!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by myhoneyswife
I was informed last night that I was a whale by my BIL. And that if I got up to 5 kids (we were discussing family size) he was getting me a shirt with a sperm whale on it. Or that says 'I'm a sperm whale' or something.
Classy.

You are adorable in your siggy pic; he is a nutball. Ah, in-laws.

·
Registered
503 Posts
People can say the most inappropriate things when you're pregnant! It always amazes me how people will say things that in a million years they'd never otherwise say. The guy who works at Starbucks told me it looks like I'm carrying twins. I had another guy at my office (who I'm not even friends with--just kind of to say "hi" or "bye" and that's it) tell me that I must be having my kids so closely together because of my "clock". (I'm 36. Speak up sonny! I couldn't hear you over my clock ticking!!) People are unbelievable!

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
My very teeny petite, always thin as a rail, taller than me cousin in law is also PG and due two months after me with her second. I keep getting told by MIL how TINY she is! Well, yeah, let's review: She's taller than me, she's always been skinnier than me, and she's due TWO MONTHS after me! GAH!

I hate the comparisons!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Why can't people just say something nice and truthful? "You look beautiful, you carry your pregnancy so gracefully." or something like that? "I love watching you grow, it's so exciting that there will be a baby here soon!" something positive and supportive?

Pregnancy and the nasty, thoughtless things people say have taught me that I need to make sure my children learn how to be gracious and kind rather than just letting their mouths run.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.