Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well then accidently hit enter stead of tab.

nak

When your looking at patterns do you visualize what the item will be by the name or reading through the pattern, or do you prefer a picture to go with it?

Im a visual mama, and was looking at some knitting patterns a minute ago and a lot didnt have pictures. I need a picture in order to decide If I would take the time. Am I alone in this? I dont know why they wouldnt put a pic up with it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm in total agreement with you! I wouldn't buy the supplies and waste them on something unless I could see it and know I'd like it. I totally am horrible at visualization - that's why I hate when books are very wordy on the scenery. Darned TV society!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
that's why I hate when books are very wordy on the scenery
ugh me too! Id like to imagine stuff myself, I dont need 3 paragraphs of extreme scenery, keep it sweet and simple and I wont skip the paragraph.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yup, me too. I want a picture -- a good picture. I used to be to the point where there might even be a picture, but the production quality might be so horrible that I'll pass. (Have you ever seen Cast-on magazine? BLEAGH!
)

Having said that, I now re-write the pattern and draw a little schmatic any time I start a new project (whether or no there's a picture), and it helps me visualize the finished project. I'm often able to "see" fitting problems on paper. When I didn't do this, I would have so many UFO's, because I absolutely hate to rip. It's also so much easier for me to read the pattern from a schematic.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I have always wondered why even bother putting your pattern on the web w/o a photo. I wouldn't even consider making something w/o seeing a pic first.

J.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Totally OT...

We had to read Tess of the D'Urbervilles in school. I am with the above poster who said that they skip paragraphs of wordy scenery. Well, I finished the assigned chapter, but had skipped most of the last paragraph due to wordiness/scenery. Imagine my surprise when I got to class the next day and everyone was talking about the horrible rape scene. Apparently it was the last two lines of the paragraph I had skipped! Oops!

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Pictures all the way. Anybody here ever looked at any of Debbie Bliss's books? Well, I think they are just gorgeous. I own most of them, even though there's no way I'll ever knit everything from them. They are just so absolutely beautifully photographed. It's totally inspiring! And you see some of the same beautiful children growing up in them as well--since she's been publishing for quite a few years now, and her models seem to reappear in subsequent books!

Alison

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.