Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so this is a really stupid thread... but I'm curious now. The baby washcloths we started out with when Bay was a newborn have all got holes in them and are REALLY ragged. Not to mention the fact that they are all different sizes. Haveing differnt sizes drives me bonkers for some silly reason. Anyway.. Bay is 20 months now so I didn't think it was necessary to make a stack of really nice wipes.. just something to get us by. So, I took some sherpa I have and made some lovely 8x8 wipes to match the others I'd made... except the sherpa is thick.. scrubby on one side, and smooth on the other.. so I figured one layer ought to do the trick. But my husband HATES them. I've listened to him gripe abou them for three days now. Reason.. the edges tend to roll up. Now, we use a wipes warmer, so the wipes go in damp, and I didn't think the rolling was any worse with the new ones than it was with the store bought baby washcloths... but apparently he can't stand it. So I guess I'm back to square one and need to make some two layer wipes to repalce the ones we trashed. Is he anal retentive, or does this drive everyone bonkers? Also, I hear hemp fleece makes good one layer wipes. Can someone who has some tell me if the edges tend to curl up out of the dryer? I guess I could make one to test, but it'd be easier if someone would just tell me
Whew! Okay, I feel better now that I got that all out.

Amber

·
Registered
202 Posts
I REALLY hate this. So much that I put these wipes aside and only bring them out in emergencies. I had some that rolled completely up. I am not normally a wasteful person, but these went in the trash! Now I only buy the darling diapers wipes because I know they wont roll on me!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Yes, they do! I've thrown away ones that do that, they drive me nuts.

I have lots of sherpa wipes that don't roll, but they're 2-layer wipes, serged together, fuzzy sides out. You should do that if you like the sherpa wipes (or baa baa wipes, as my 7 yr old said LOL).

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I don't like rolling edges either. What I really can't stand is when 2 layer wipes start to roll, because 1 layer is one fabric and the other is a different fabric, and they shrink at different rates, so the edges start to pull up and roll. Arrgghhh! Especially since I *love* 2 fabric wipes such as sherpa and velour.

So I'd be wary of stabilizing with flannel, and would go with 2 layers of sherpa or whatever. I also have a bunch of 2 layer flannel wipes that, while pretty ugly, don't roll on the edges.

Karla

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup, we have about half our wipes stash very nice sherpa/velour/flannel/knit terry wipes. For those that know who I am
you'd understand. I was just trying to cheap out with a quick fix since we have so little time before potty learning. I've never had a two layer wipe roll at all. My favorites are knit terry/velour combos.. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and make some nice ones. You guys were suppose to give me amo and say "yeah.. he's just being persnickety". *LOL*.. oh well. Still no news on the one layer hemp fleece wipes.. anyone know if they roll too? I see one layer wipes for sale all the time and now I have to wonder if they all roll up or not? And if not... how do they keep it from rolling? Wow.. I really need a life outside the house!!

Amber

·
Registered
847 Posts
I hang dry all my diapering stuff on a rack so I can 'block' the wipes and keep them from rolling. The few times I've used a dryer I was not impressed with all the little rolled up tubes that fell out but most of mine were one set of killington flannel that shrunk but the velour on the back didn't.
:

But maybe I'm anal like your DH!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I hate, hate, hate it! I've got a couple of flannel/volour wipes from a WAHM that roll (none of the others do), and it drives me CRAZY. I'm about ready to just throw the "defective" ones away and order some new ones. I really love my flannel/sherpa wipes from Darling Diapers. I only use 2 layer wipes away from home. At home, I use single layer terry or flannel (terry for poop, flannel for detail work &/or pee only).

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Amber,
I whipped up some one layer hemp fleece wipes for camping one year. I serged the edges, and they do not roll. However, I am not abig fan of single layer wipes~one layer feels like it is a little to close to the poop for me.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by UlrikeDG
flannel for detail work &/or pee only

"detail work"

:LOL

Love it! Hehe

Oh - I hate rolling wipes, too. I zig-zag pieces of old baby terry towels & flannel blankets together.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts

Amber, this thread just strikes me as hilarious. It's like Lori at Fuzbaby asking if cheap nylon pull on pants bother anyone else or if her husband is just being persnickity because he'll only use wool! LOLOLOLOL
To answer your question, I too, cannot stand rolling wipes. Drives me batty. LOLOLOL Still cracking up at you!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
See, I try to slip by with being a little bit cheap and lazy .. and look where it gets me.. now I have to do twice the work and spend twice as much! But, on the bright side, the sherpa wipes I made make dandy little duster mitts when I stitch around three sides and in just a little on each of the other sides so they aren't a total waste. Sherpa is good stuff I tell ya! It's really too thick to put the two layers together and re-serge to make a wipe from... makes it kind of stiff. But my little girl thinks the duster mits make really neato puppets too, so I think we'll glue some eyes on them or something.. heck, I might even be able to get my 20 month old to dust with this new invention!! Yee haw.. my claim to fame has arrived!

Holly,
Do you ever look at your day and go "THIS is what I did all day?" .. You know you've been married exactly three years when you argue about rolly wipes and end up in separate rooms because of it *LOL*.. I think it's time for fresh air. Least I can laugh about it now
it really is funny.
Amber

·
Registered
308 Posts
Nope, I cannot stand it when the wipes roll!! Thankfully the only ones that I have had this problem with are the babykicks hemparoo ones that I have. They're on the bottom of my pile. And, they're right next to some of my really thin flannel ones that I got off ebay. Hmmmm... don't know which one is a bother more- the rolling or the thinness???

I'm there with you though and your DH!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.