Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LO is just over two weeks old. I've noticed that sometimes she is okay being swaddled, but more often that not she fights it (grunts and pushes with arms and legs) and usually gets free of the swaddle. During the day I usually just let her fight her way out, and she ends up sleeping with both arms over her head. (She often nurses with her arm over her face, too.) It seems like she just likes her arms free. That said, it is difficult to settle her down. Am I fighting a losing battle trying to swaddle her? Should I use the Swaddleme-type blanket that forces her (with velcro) to stay swaddled? Or should I let her arms go free?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Let her be free!
My DS was the same way, and also slept with his arms above his head. He hated being swaddled. If you notice she is fussy and you think she needs the added security, THEN swaddle and see if it helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes! After 2 weeks, DS hated it. He also hated pacifiers, which I am happy about. I see 2+ year olds with pacis and I think that is insane.
Anyway, my DS slept whis his arms up above his head, so he hated swaddling!

·
Registered
107 Posts
My first loved it, my second hated it. She would fight to get her arms free. She slept fine unswaddled.

ETA: maybe swaddle from the chest down, leaving her arms free? Maybe a sound machine could help "shh noises". Swinging, rocking? Rocking her in arms with tummy down?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
ds ALWAYS hated it. slept so much better once he wasn't swaddled.

·
Registered
999 Posts
DS hated it. He was swaddled for all of two nights. He also slept in that "GOAL!" pose.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
My three kids have all hated it. I think once they came out, the stretched out and realized there was all this space out here that they didn't have in the womb. LOL

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sotevenn View Post
My first loved it, my second hated it. She would fight to get her arms free. She slept fine unswaddled.

ETA: maybe swaddle from the chest down, leaving her arms free? Maybe a sound machine could help "shh noises". Swinging, rocking? Rocking her in arms with tummy down?

Mine also hated it and slept with his arms up but when he really needed help calming down the swaddle from chest down did the trick.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow. I guess I thought she'd have to be swaddled to sleep, so as not to jerk her arms and startle herself awake. Maybe we'll try this. (On a friday night when DH doesn't have work the next morning

So swaddling from the chest down is basically just the blanket around their chest and it holds in their legs?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
None of my four liked it - but they also tummy slept from day 1 so I never got them into the habit anyways (I didn't feel safe swaddling and laying them on their tummies).

·
Registered
882 Posts
I do swaddle sometimes from the underarms down. My DD was born with her hand by her face and immediately put her hand in her mouth. So I let her hands be "free", I figure that's how she comforted herself inutero so why take them away now?

I also rock and shush her...that seems to be very calming to her.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Two of mine really liked it, and once of them really didn't. DD1 slept almost from the beginning with her arms straight up over her head (she still does!) and it infuriated her to have them restrained. I did find that a comforting wrap from the chest down was comforting to her, though.

My twins were swaddling junkies, though.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
dd loved it, ds hates it

·
Registered
955 Posts
dd (4.5 mos) loooooves being swaddled. she loves her arms up over her head but can not stop bopping herself in the face while asleep. since i too like sleep, we are still swaddling. it's the cutest thing though, when she's fussy and i lay her on the blanket, and begin to wrap her up, she goes limp and starts to smile, like she knows that she gets to go to sleep now.

i just wonder when is a good age to stop?

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Yes. Some really hate it. Some only hate getting swaddled, and I think some caregivers confuse the two hates, but some babies definitely hate BEING swaddled.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
DS hated it right from the day he was born! However he never had a problem with being in a sling

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
DS2 is the only one of mine who liked it at all. DS1 would put up with it, as long as one arm was free. Both my girls have absolutely hated it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.