Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious...have there been any studies done on this? My mom had 10 kids - all natural & all drug free. She SWORE she never felt more than "2 pains...one said WOAH, LABOR, the next was the baby coming out!" I remember being pregnant with my first & her always saying "Don't worry, it's just 2 pains!"
I have never had a natural birth - so I wonder, could I be genetically predisposed to have an easy birth like that? Hey, grasping at anything here people!
:

But, really, is there anything to this?

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm...that's intersting...

I "didn't dilate" either...but I had 1,000 things holding me back, my mama didn't! She had my older sister in the elevator on her way up to labor & delivery!

When I was in labor with #1 she kept coming in saying something was REALLY wrong & "Your Dr. is a UAVIOLATION! Get yourself out of this place!" Hmmm...mama knows best?

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
don't know

momma was induced -- then went on to have me totally pain-medican free.

Her water broke and no labor in 24 hours.

My water broke -- LABOR -- then labor stopped and i ended up on Pit.....

so neither of us know what our bodies would have done.

I know a lot of my friends have matched their moms as for how early or late the babies were and if the water broke first, or labor started first.

but that is not evidence.

intresting though.

but................ then you talk to moms who had 3 or 4 births and each was sooooooooo differnt....if all our own births aren't even close to the same -- how can it stand up that our births are like our moms?

Intresting

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimee21972 View Post
but................ then you talk to moms who had 3 or 4 births and each was sooooooooo differnt....if all our own births aren't even close to the same -- how can it stand up that our births are like our moms?
You DO make a good point there!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
My mom went a week over with me, SROM for over 48 hours before I was born and almost all of that 48 hours was active labor. I was induced and after 12 hours of pitocin induced labor I had barely dilated. I think we are slow dialters with first babies.

With my brother however she felt her first contraction at dinner time and was holding him 5 hours later.... So we'll see how my next labor is. Both my brother and I were natural births at birth centers.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I don't buy it for the simple facts that all 3 of my Moms labors were very different and so far all 4 of mine were very different so if we are not like ourselves how can we be like each other?
:

Nobody is more related to me than me and all my births are different - one has long as 22 hours and one as short as 45 minutes.

Keri

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My labor with both girls was a lot like my mother's. Hers was quick, I believe 4 hours or less with me. I don't start "labor" until close to transition, so by the time it does start everything moves really quick.

She did say hers was painful, whereas mine weren't really painful experiences.

I'm not sure if it holds weight, I've heard different things about this topic.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
My MIL had 14 children. 2 of her daughters have had (a total of 6) children and 3 are pregnant right now. I don't know if their labors have all been like hers, but they do have really good 'birthing' bodies. I would be really shocked if any of her 8 girls ever had a c-section. They do carry their pregnancies really well and their bodies heal up really well from the whole process - they can still wear bikinis after having been pregnant
: . They have medium builds but good muscles and bone structure for birth. They also are all athletic and stay in shape most of the time so that probably helps a lot.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sophmama View Post
My MIL had 14 children. 2 of her daughters have had (a total of 6) children and 3 are pregnant right now. I don't know if their labors have all been like hers, but they do have really good 'birthing' bodies. I would be really shocked if any of her 8 girls ever had a c-section. They do carry their pregnancies really well and their bodies heal up really well from the whole process - they can still wear bikinis after having been pregnant
: . They have medium builds but good muscles and bone structure for birth. They also are all athletic and stay in shape most of the time so that probably helps a lot.
LOL, I wear one after 4! The more I think about it the more I realize how different it could have been. I have spent years thinking my body failed me, when infact I failed IT. Uggh...

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I was hoping there was a correlation, but I doubt there is any. Just like a PP said, all births are different, even with the same mom.

My mom had 2 kids, me and an older half brother who was adopted at birth. For my brother, she had a drug-her-up-and-knock-her-out birth. Not her active choice, but just what it was given that she was young, unmarried, and not calling the shots. So I have no idea what her first birth would have been like had she been, er, "there" for it. (Nor does she!). For my birth, she went all natural and reported having "two" labor pains. No idea if she really had it that easy or if she was just minimizing it (knowing my mom, it really could have been either one).

For me, I pushed for 6 hours. Not quite like the "two" labor pains my mom reported, unfortunately. I was REALLY hoping I'd labor like she did for me though

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I labor a lot like my mom, fast and intense. Her labor with my sis was 6 hrs, with me was 20 mins. For me, ds#2 was 7 hrs and dd was 4. My sis, on the other hand, had a long, horrible labor.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Man, I hope so. My mom had great labors. So did my grandmas. I come from a fine tradition of natural-birthing ladies. The gals of my generation don't seem to have as good a luck, though, but I think that's mainly from medical interference. I.e. my sister being induced because her baby was "big" and ultimately having a C-section, when my mother's babies were all bigger and came out with no "help" at all on their own timetable.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I sure hope that's true. With my eldest sister, my mother pretty much took herself to the hospital (ex-husband was a real a--hole) and nobody believed that she was in labor until the baby started coming out!
She's known to have moderately long labors and quick labors. I sure hope some of that rubs off on me.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
In my case, I did labor like my mother. She had short, intense labors, same as I did. My grandmother had a painless labor with my father, and my mother had a near painless labor with my sister. I wish that was me...

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
My mother birthed me in 7 hours. I labored with DS for 42 hours and ended with an emergency cesarean - he was async, posterior and a cervical lip formed and swelled, preventing his descent. I labored with DD for 17 hours and ended with another emergency cesarean - for the exact same problem! Both babes had giant heads, but I feel if either of my babes had been perfectly anterior, chin tucked, and placed even pressure on my cervix, they would have been born naturally.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts