Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering what it's like in other peoples' houses.

Does your DP follow your lead when it comes to parenting or do you both work together on every parenting issue to find a compromise? Do you tend to disagree or agree with it comes down to setting limits with the kids What's it like when you disagree...how do you work it out?

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
We're pretty much on the same page. There are a couple of things we disagree on, and they are 'gender-based'...as in he doesn't understand 'girl' problems (boyfriends, shaving legs, periods, etc.) and has tried to talk to her with absolute NO TACT.

And he is too rough on our DS...he expects alot out of the little guy, and will shout "BOY!" at him over every little thing.

How do we work it out? I talk to him IN PRIVATE about how I think he was wrong and how he can try and maybe change. He usually realizes that he was wrong, but it's still upsetting sometimes.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
We work out issues in private, but are not afraid to tell each other when we think the other did something we disagree with. Usually this leads us into a discussion that ends up with a solution we can both agree on. We both feel it is necessary for both our marriage and our parenting to keep the communication lines absolutely open and address any issues that come up ASAP.

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
We agree very well so far... we didn't know we were AP/NFLish about kids until it came time to have ours, but we both just went to it naturally... I do lots of research-- DH does too but now tends to leave more of the reading to me, but he actually helps take the lead by being confident about our decisions-- I'll have an idea of what I want to do -- say babywear-- and he'll agree w/ the bebefits so much he refuses to get a stroller (until we need one, if), or wait to keep researching vax, and I'm feeling uncertain, and he's able to be way less neurotic and just say, yeah, none for our kid! So we compliment eachother in a way as well as agreeing. We've only talked about the bigger stuff for down the line, but we're both clearly tending towards kohn-ish stuff.. we're fortunate in our agreement. When we need to, though, we talk stuuf out privately as a team, as noted above by a PP.

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
We are on the same page about pretty much everything. DH is happy to follow my lead most of the time, and this is just because of our personalities -- I'm a natural-born leader, and he's very laid-back. This works great for us.

·
Registered
12,662 Posts
We are very compatible as parents. We may do some things differently, which I think is great for DS to see that not everyone is always the same. But we basically have the same ideals and goals in mind when it comes to raising our kids.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
He mostly follows my lead. I try not to tell him "what to do" but sometimes he just needs direction. We agree on the main points. Breastfeeding, no hitting, co-sleeping... things of an "AP" nature. Dh does get frustrated easily and I cant help with that one.... but yeah, we agree. Or rather he agrees with me

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
We don't disagree on too many fundamentals. Sometimes our personality types clash (he's much more laid back).

·
Registered
923 Posts
We agree on about 95%. He's a very involved dad and has a say in everything we do, but in general we're in agreement. I honestly can only think of one time when we've disagreed - he wanted to use time outs for discipline and I didn't. We talked it over, I told him my reasons, and he agreed to try it my way. We're still doing it my way.

I'm very thankful that we are so compatible as parents, I really feel for mamas who have to fight an uphill battle with thier partners. It must be very hard.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
We are extremely compatible. Also, my DP is very quiet/laid-back, so if he ever speaks up/disagrees with a parenting issue, I take it very seriously and listen. We work it out. Now, we don't consult with each other every time we make a decision because we both agree on the major stuff and we trust the other stuff to fall in line. Occasionally when something new pops up, we usually talk about it in bed while we're laying there trying to fall asleep at night/nursing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.