Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two baby girls who are about 3 weeks old. They don't seem to be able to settle down to sleep unless they are bundled in receiving blankets. I feel really bad doing it, because it seems like putting them in a straight jacket, but it is the only way I have gotten them to sleep. Maybe part of the issue is having twins - I find it hard to give them both the individual attention they need. Does anyone else bundle? Have any suggestions about how to avoid bundling? Or any information on how bundling might affect their development?<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
My daughter is also about three weeks (August 9) and she is very active, too. Flails her arms and legs around a lot and seems to startle herself sometimes. So, we also wrap her tightly in a blanket sometimes to sleep. I don't think this is bad if you don't do it too much. If it's only at night and possibly not every night, perhaps it should be fine. I think Dr. Sears mentions something about swaddling in the Baby Book (I don't have it near me right now), so maybe you could check that out.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Oh my goodness, yes, I swaddled ds very tightly for his first three weeks, maybe longer. That is what he preferred and it was the only way he would rest. I don't think it's comparable to a straight jacket. The womb was much more constrictive than any blanket could ever be. They will let you know when they don't want swaddled any more. My ds did.<br><br>
Congrats on the new girls!! How sweet!<br><br>
lisa

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Hi,<br><br>
My youngest son was born in January and to keep him warm I always swaddled him. Now (at age two and half!!) he just loves to fall asleep in my arms after I tightly swaddle him in his big blankie and rock him. It soothes him during tantrums even. He loves it! Now my 7 week old daughter also loves it. She falls right to sleep when I do it. I have to unswaddle her to get her to nurse. I think it's great!

·
Registered
531 Posts
DD was very colicky and we swaddled her for at least 3 months! I don't think you need to worry about development concerns. Lots of people think that babes should really spend their first 3 months still in the womb (ie. that they're born too early, but evolution has caused our heads to grow so big that our babes have to be born early), where of course they would be very constricted. As always, do what makes your babies happy.

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
I agree most newborns love to be wrapped up tight and warm. After all, they were real constricted in the womb. Of course, slinging them most of the day close to your body is even better. With twins, you can put 2 in a sling for a couple months probably. They sleep really well with their toes on their chins!<br><br>
They will be well able to kick off that blanket when they no longer need/like it.<br><br>
I think of the first 9 mos as the continuation of the baby's gestational period. That is when they finally seem more mature, able to put food in their mouth and get around on the floor under their own steam. Humans are born so immature!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts