Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really curious... I am still early but I have had some intense menstrual like cramps and sort of want to know if they are doing anything...Seeing as how DD was born at 42w, I would do a happy dance if I could just have one free centimeter this time... LOL

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I tried before. But I never seem to get there.

I would like to, before I start going into labor, so I can have some idea of whats going on in there as time goes on. (I usually have a good three plus weeks of prodromal labor before baby labor happens.)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
nope. only tried once during labor with DS2. I don't know why I did it. I knew I wasn't ready to push. i'm going to try to resist this time - especially if I'm in a space where only full dilation will satisfy!

oh - and should add that with DS#1 i was dilated 2-3cm and 40% effaced at 36 weeks and went 41 weeks and 50 hours of labor. I'm not falling for that again!!!

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I don't check. I don't want anything extra inserted there. Less germs to insert.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I just had an appointment today and asked to be checked, so I could try at home and compare. She had to reach wayyyyyyyy in, and I know it would end up being hard for even DH to check, much less me.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I do because I've had some problems with my cervix throughout the pregnancy and I frequently have strong, regular menstrual like cramps for hours every evening. I just want to make sure my body isn't doing anything it's not supposed to be doing.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I don't because I don't want to possibly get anything up there, especially before the GBS test.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by neetling View Post
I tried recently but couldn't reach it. I thought that was odd because when I am not pregnant I have no trouble reaching it.
Me too. That was a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't tried since.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I have checked mine. I am about 2-3 cm dilated externally, and about 40% effaced. It changes position depending on how low the baby's head is. I can feel my internal os of my cervix is still closed and the mucous plug is sitting right there. Until I am term I am not going to really feel much of the internal part of my cervix as I don't want to start anything!

I think it is a totallly different thing to have your fingers checking your cervix regularly than a health care practitioner. In your home you are immune to the germs already, and it's not as if sex is sterile! In fact, semen is totally not sterile, and your partner's hands aren't either. As long as membranes are intact there is no additional risk to self-exams.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Each week I ask to have my cervix checked because I want to check mine right after - once I can reach mine I will just do self checks. When does the cervix move down, or is that an individual thing? I have tried everything I can think of to reach it and it is still to far. I was told yesterday I was 1 cm and 80% effaced, but I want to know what that feels like for myself!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well the cervix tends to move forward when you're in labor, but it doesn't typically move forward before then.

I've lost my plug, my external is at about 2, internal still below 1. 20% effaced. I taught hubby how to check for when I can't reach.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by habibekindheart View Post
Well the cervix tends to move forward when you're in labor, but it doesn't typically move forward before then.

I've lost my plug, my external is at about 2, internal still below 1. 20% effaced. I taught hubby how to check for when I can't reach.
I was going to have DH check my cervix too, but he seems reluctant since it is so far back. Actually, he just told me that he just can't reach it.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
We used FAM for about 1.5 years prior to conception (mostly to avoid), so I got pretty comfortable with checking my cervix, so I would be doing it now. However, I have had a NO ADMITTANCE
rule for a while now due to some bacterial issues throughout the pregnancy, so alas, I'll have to avoid the temptation!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.