Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you consider BF to be a personal choice? I hear many woman say that and many baby books say that. Some ways yes its a personal choice because you alone have to make it. But also the way people make it sound like its a personal choice and one that is no big deal either way. I don't know why that bugs me so much. I mean no ones going to go force woman to BF and I don't expect that. But really why is it not a no brainer. I mean is their a better way of saying it? Can people just say its a healthy choice to breastfeed.
: Maybe I read into things too much.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyJoy1975
Do you consider BF to be a personal choice? I hear many woman say that and many baby books say that. Some ways yes its a personal choice because you alone have to make it. But also the way people make it sound like its a personal choice and one that is no big deal either way. I don't know why that bugs me so much. I mean no ones going to go force woman to BF and I don't expect that. But really why is it not a no brainer. I mean is their a better way of saying it? Can people just say its a healthy choice to breastfeed.
joyjoy1975,

, with what you said above here.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think it's a personal choice but only in the way that it's a decision the mother has to come to. What I think should happen is that eventually it shouldn't be a decision AT ALL.

I didn't circ my son because I don't think it's my responsibility to make the decision to lop off part of his body, so why for the love of God I thought it was up to me to decide to NOT give him mama milk is beyond me. I still don't understand it. I wish it hadn't BEEN a "choice"....

Maybe I'm not making sense...

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
What about the babies choice? What would the baby choose? (When it is a choice of course... don't want to offend any mama that tried desperately to bf and couldn't).

·
Registered
762 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital
I don't think it should be a choice. I think formula should be available by prescription only based on true medical need.

This is a little much in my opinion
:

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
I think that breast milk is a human right.

Obviously there are serious situations that require alternatives, but overall all children deserve breastmilk.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Quote:

I don't think it should be a choice. I think formula should be available by prescription only based on true medical need.
I agree.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Quote:

or if formula was made obsolete because enough breastfeeding moms were donating breastmilk privately or to milk banks so when babies can't be breastfed by their mother, they can still get breastmilk somehow

nice idea, but wouldn't that be considered communism or something?

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Quote:

I agree. I know some mamas have to work full time but I know someone that is working and going to school full time and is BFing without supplimenting.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Quote:

agreed.

and like a pp said maybe then there would be plenty of donated breastmilk so that formula would really be the last option.

·
Registered
12,662 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyJoy1975
Well yes I think it is a personal choice, but much in the same way using the toilet to poop in, rather than squatting on the couch is a personal choice for most adults. You'd think it was a no brainer, but as made glaringly obvious with the recent baby talk cover so many people view BFing as a choice, and even those with babies see it as a "gross" choice.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Quote:

im going to play devil's advocate here -- what do you consider to be a true medical need?

·
Registered
173 Posts
haleyelianasmom, I don't think we are supposed to debate that particular choice on this board.

I see what you are saying there, but I'm not sure that it is comparing apples to apples.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Well, if it isn't a personal choice, whose choice is it?

It saddens me when people choose not to breastfeed, but the alternative is taking the choice away from them and forcing them to breastfeed. Who is going to make the choice, if not the woman who owns the boobs?

Maybe I didn't understand the question.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by haleyelianasmom
I'm almost scared to bring it up seeing as it is such a heated issue and there are many out there who would murder me for my ideas on this issue, but there is a certain other "personal choice" some women make that very much affects the life or lack there of for their unborn child. Just because people see something as a personal issue doesn't mean it really is just personal.
This is how I look at it too.

It drives me nuts all the women who say "my body, my choice". Well, what about that poor little baby who doesn't get a choice about what goes into his/her body??

I say, it's my body, and I'm choosing to do the best thing for my baby's body.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts