Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lots of times with my ds (15months) when we are out and about, and it is snack or lunch time, I nurse him to postpone meals.
I think this is why my MIL claims that I continue to nurse just to make it conveinant for myself. (I know she is full of bologna but it got me thinking)

SO I was just wondering if you mamas that are bfing toddlers do this as well.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Yes, I do. Well, I don't nurse him to postpone meals as much as I nurse him INSTEAD of meals. For instance, if we just got home and he is really hungry, I nurse him instead of giving him solids. So that's why he only gets solids once or twice a day. I guess I still have it in my head that nursing is his "main" nutrition.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Well of course it's convenient for mommy to be able to nurse a hungry toddler rather than feed something innapropriate if something good isn't easily available. At that age I was still reall ypicky about what I fed ds and out in public it was quite difficult to find something for him htat didn't make me cringe!

That convenience is talked about as a great thing for newborns-baby hungry, lift shirt
Why shouldn't we still enjoy the convenience when they are a bit older?

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
I'm all about convenience nursing.

I often nurse dd in the car (when DH is driving, don't worry we all use belts and safety seats!) to keep the hungry-cranky toddler at bay while we're out and about. Some days dd eats solids like there is no tomorrow, some days she'll eat an apple and nurse all day, so I totally see nursing as a "meal". And when we're out someplace that doesn't have food I consider dd-appropriate I'm fine with nursing her till we get home.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
yep I do this too. But many times nursing is his meal

Yeah I definitely love the convenience when we are out somewhere and he's hungry and tired. It's free and always available.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I told my husband the other day that I love the fact that my one year old is nursing more than eating. I don't have to worry about "balanced" meals because they are always perfect.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sure do! You mamas are making me feel better about my dd not eating as much solids as I remember her older sister eating at this age. She still nurses quite often, and instead of giving her Doritos, why not give her some mama's milk?!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Me too! Today we were at the Art Museum (Awesome Family Center here) and Sage was hungry but Maia wasn't ready to leave. She settled in to nurse for about 10 minutes and then was happy to play for another hour, pushing our normal lunchtime about 2 hours back!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Okay, i was a different mama to my first child and did not nurse him past 6 weesk so when he was a toddler and we were out and about we would let him get greasy mcdonalds fries and sip our cola or grab a bag of chips at a gas station or cookies......
Now, my third is a toddler and when we are out and he is hungry he gets warm, sweet satisfying mama milk. Hm.....which is better?
Heck yeah, breastfeeding is conveinient! And that does not mean its bad!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
My ds will nurse when he's hungry.

But... I really have to say to the op... about your siggy... I used to work on a computer all day (doing layout for a newspapers) and I was so used to using hotkeys that whenever something would go wrong (I spilled something, ruined something) I couldn't help thing 'apple' 'U'ndo
and if something went well I would think 'apple' 'S'ave.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Sure, at that age, I did that a lot! Sometimes he just really wanted to nurse, and that would usually tide him over til we could eat. Now I'm 13 weeks pg and don't have much milk anymore... so we can't do this now, but we sure used to!

Why can't breastfeeding be a snack? It's pretty healthy... some people just don't think...

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
My 16mo only snacks. She still does not actually eat a full meal of solids. If we are eating she'll want a few bites but most of her food comes straight from me.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
lol, i do the opposite...i suppose you can say i am actively weaning....i pump her full of food all day so i dont have to nurse.....i don't want her to stop nursing altogether, but at this point, I'm good with only a few times per day at at night....she's had free access for 2 years, and i realized i had to set limits to keep my sanity, and it's working well for us...

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trini
Yes, I do. Well, I don't nurse him to postpone meals as much as I nurse him INSTEAD of meals. For instance, if we just got home and he is really hungry, I nurse him instead of giving him solids. So that's why he only gets solids once or twice a day. I guess I still have it in my head that nursing is his "main" nutrition.
me too

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustVanessa
So lots of times with my ds (15months) when we are out and about, and it is snack or lunch time, I nurse him to postpone meals.
I think this is why my MIL claims that I continue to nurse just to make it conveinant for myself. (I know she is full of bologna but it got me thinking)

SO I was just wondering if you mamas that are bfing toddlers do this as well.
Hmm well your babe should be getting 25-50% of his diet from solids around 18 months so I would think that you would WANT to nurse him to postpone meals.

Quote:
Some toddlers are eating very few solids, or even no solids, at 12 months. This is not unusual and really depends on your child - there is quite a big variation. We like to see breastmilk making up the majority (around 75%) of baby's diet at 12 months. Some babies will be taking more solids by 12 months, but others will still be exclusively or almost-exclusively breastfed at this point. It is normal for baby to keep breastmilk as the primary part of his diet up until 18 months or even longer. An example of a nice gradual increase in solids would be 25% solids at 12 months, 50% solids at 18 months, and 80% solids at 24 months. http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/toddler-foods.html
When did your MIL become a lactation and nutrition expert?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts