Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to eat more veggies. I know I need to reinstitute my 5 a day plan, but lately I've been at a loss for what to eat. Sometimes veggies don't appeal to me at all.
I bought some carrots the other day and made myself eat 2 of them, figuring that counted as two servings. Then I went to dinner at my dad's and had lettuce and potatoes and broccali. I like veggies when he makes them, and I love salad if someone else makes it. I live alone, so I don't make salads since it's too much work for 1 serving and it will go bad if I make a lot.
The organic farm stand near me is open for the season so i'm enjoying some baby turnips in greens for dinner, but can you give me some ideas about how to sneak more veggies into my diet, quick yummy things to eat, etc.
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
I think I do generally..

today I definitely did - I had cole slaw at lunch

in the afternoon I had one plum, some grapes, some strawberries & some canteloupe

for dinner I roasted beets, carrots, garlic, onions, & potatoes

I also made spagetti sauce with grape tomatoes, red peppers, zucchini, carrots, onions and garlic. I didn't eat a serving of it though... but I had at least a spoonful or two while making it LOL

I'll probably have another piece of fruit before bed

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
oh and I make salad for one for lunch almost every day!

I have 3 or 4 leaves of lettuce, a leaf of kale if I have it, some grape tomatoes or one sliced tomato, and anything else I have - a sliced mushroom, some red onion, some avocado... whatever. then I drizzle olive oil & balsamic vinager on top and grind on salt and pepper

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
I eat WAY more than 5 a day usually, though less when pregnant because not as many appeal to me.
Many "veggies" are really fruits, but I'll list them anyway.

Lunch: included a vegetable soup (which I made mostly because the boys love it, and I just throw in whatever veggies are in the fridge), contained broccoli, carrots, peas, turnips and turnip greens, tomato, green beans, onion, marjoram, and vegetable broth.
Also some vegan "chick'n" salad, which had lots of celery in it.

Dinner: included an asian cucumber salad, carrots, and scallion pancakes.

Snack: "vegetable" crackers.

I'm very pregnant and hot right now, so this was probably actually a low-veggie day for us.

Besides soups, an easy way to add veggies is to make pasta sauce with extra fresh veggies sauteed in olive oil then added to the tomato sauce. Or even easier, just get some chopped frozen greens and add them when you heat up the sauce.
You can add frozen veggies to chili too.
Even when I make pesto, I'll replace 1/4 of the basil with something like kale for extra veggie goodness!
Veggie burgers can "hide" veggies well too.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I get more than 5 a day, most days. Today, I made shrimp creole, which is in a fresh-tomato-based sauce that also has celery and onions. I had sauteed zuchinni with my scrambled eggs. I had a large banana as a snack. I ate a half an avocado with crackers as another snack. Lunch was a kashi frozen dinner, with a lot of bell peppers (not great, but I had to work, and it beats the vending machine. Bleh).

On days where I can cook more, vegetarian dishes are usually our entrees. I love my homemade veggie pizza. It's very easy to get in your vegetables that way.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Dips. I crave crunchy stuff like chips and salsa so I try to substitute by eating raw veggies dipped in salsa, guacamole, or hummus. Another thing I had once is some veggie dip a lady made by buying a package of salad dressing mix and mixing it with plain yogurt instead of sour cream. It was delicious! I like to dip carrrots, celery, broccoli, red pepper, cauliflower.

Also I get an organic box delivered every other week and I make it my goal to make sure the produce drawers are empty in time for the next arrival. That has helped me eat more fruits and veggies.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think I generally do. Some days I probably get less and some days I probably get more, I'm sure it balances in the long run.

The best tricks I have for getting myself to eat more of them when I don't feel like it are:
-sneaking them into a frittata for breakfast - I usually use tomatoes, zucchini, bell peppers, whatever else is handy
- making a stir fry for dinner.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I am not a big veggie fan. We used to just eat frozen veggies plain, but I'm trying to find ways to get more veggies in our diet.
I use a menu plan, and plan the veggies first, or find dishes that have a lot of veggies. I find I eat more if they are cooked in a more interesting way. I look in our cookbooks or on the internet and search for the fresh veggies I have. Today I found a YUMMY vegetable platter recipe, super simple, in an old cookbook that was put out by Oprah and her former cook Rosie (I forget her last name-she also did a book with Dr. Weil). It was SOOOO good! You just steam the veggies (she had a list-but I used what I had) and then you mix a dressing of tamari or soy sauce, lemon juice, and garlic. You pour the dressing over the steamed veggies, and then sprinkle a little low-fat cheese (cheddar and Parmesan). Cover it with foil until the cheese melts. Yummy!! I used corn on the cob, yellow squash, green beans, and carrots.

I think Rachel Ray has good recipes that include vegetables. She got me eating greens. I hated spinach and other greens, but now I make them all the time. She often sautees the greens (frozen or fresh) in olive oil and garlic, and she throws in a pinch of nutmeg. As she would say--yum-o!

Also, cabbage is a great filler in a casserole.

One of my family's favorite summer recipes is to take fresh green beans, red potatoes quartered (unless they're new), and chopped onion, and put it in a pressure cooker for about 6 minutes. OH SO GOOD!--we add bacon, but you don't have to.

I've found that there are vegetables that I'm bored with or haven't liked, and then I find out a new way to cook it and it's like a whole new vegetable for me-like what happened with the greens. Cauliflower too-I was so bored of steamed or boiled cauliflower, but I found new life for it on this board-roasted!
So some of my favorite veggies now are ones I disliked or was bored with before:
Cauliflower Greens Green beans brussel sprouts

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
yep - any vegetable is freaking phenomenal roasted!! toss with olive oil, kosher salt, ground pepper and cook at 425 for 30-40 minutes

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I have been aiming for 9 fruits and veggies a day. For the veggies:

breakfast: omlettes with onion, tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, garlic or cilantro

Lunch: Lettuce and tomato on sandwiches

Dinner: I stopped making a side of rice or pasta with dinner. We usually have 3-4 of the following with each dinner:
Steamed brocolli
green beans (my dh LOVES canned
: )
boiled baby carrotts
steamed zucchini
steamed yellow squash
sweet onions sauteed in butter and balsamic vinegar
sauteed spinach w/ garlic and olive oil
steamed asparagus
boiled red or golden beets w/ butter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts