Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to change my life and get in better shape but can't afford to join WW or a gym or anything of that matter. I a couple months i will be able to use the gym at the hospital but even then i will only be in town 2 times a week so that will not be enought.
What would you say is a frugal exercise. I live on a gravel road and like to walk but it has been soooo hot lately i don't feel like it.
What do you suggest? Do videos really work? I have a few but i feel they are to easy or to hard nothing just right. I'm not motivated enought just to get on the floor and start doing sit ups.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If oyu have a tv, I like excercise videos at home. You canget pretty much any activity you like. I like to work out at home on my own schedule but don't accomplish much if I don't have someone telling me what to do
so this works for me.

ETA
I just use a small variety of workouts. some are more intense, some less so. The easy ones, I find if oyu focus a lot and really put your whole self into it you get a much better workout han just going through the motions, iykwim. The hard ones, just go through the motions and try to keep up! Eventually it gets easier but in the meantime, any motion is better htan none.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
See if your local library has any exercise videos/dvds- then maybe you can try them out without buying them.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
If you are in an area that has freecycle, that is a great way to get videos and excersise equipment. I also like books with exercises. I found a free weight training book by the side of the road a month ago. I already had a set of 30$ free weights. My body is changing faster than anything else I have ever tried. Anyhow... freecycling, and asking around for used equipment is a great frugal way to go. So many people invest in stuff and it gathers dust because theyve given up.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Also, just simple things are good; jumping jacks, dancing to music you like (with the kiddies) even for 10 min, 3x day, push ups, going up and down stairs... I like going to the gym because it is a me time ritual, but if I really wanted to work out at home, there's lots of things you can do.

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
I go to the local YMCA but there was a time I exercised to videos. I had quite a collection too including some classic Jane Fonda ones. I think exercise videos are a great way to work out. You can pop one in when you have the time. You don't have to worry about gym hours or whether your e old t-shirt and shorts are all that flattering (can you tell this is what I wear when I work out?).

I gave some of my exercise videos through Freecycle. You could also try www.videofitness.com It's a message forum where video fitness exercisers review old/new exercise videos/DVDs and they exchange the videos/DVDs they don't want. It's similar to the Trading Post on MDC. Of course, you'll need a few videos or DVDs to start trading but when you do you might want to check it out.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Can you take your kids to a playground? If so, do not sit on the bench. Climb on the monkey bars with them, swing with them, play tag with them. Whatever your kids are doing, do it with them, even if you only have a baby who just waves her arms & legs around. It is a fantastic way to stay in shape, it can be an incredible bonding experience, and it's free.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
I have an Xbox game (Yourself Fitness) that's actually helped ALOT. I do that along with walking and get a good exercise in that I can keep track of what I'm doing.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I walk outside (to get somewhere not just to walk), bicycle, or use my indoor walking video when it's too hot, too cold or raining.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Jump roping is great exercise you can do in quick little spurts at home. Also the new exercise bands are very good and fairly inexpensive --- I really like hand weights too. I would check some Shape or Fitness magazines out of the library to get exercises.

At the playground I do toe raises and try to play tag and be "it" with the kids.

BJ
Barney & Ben

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just put on some shoes and walk, run outside. Walk/Bike to go shopping instead of driving, if it is close, if not, park furthest away from the entrance. Don't use elevators, walk up the stairs.

Instead of buying weights use soda bottles and do jumping jacks.

We have our excercise routines included in our weekly schedule, so we won't forget.

·
Registered
289 Posts
It's hot here in Mississippi so I get up at 6ish in the morning and walk. It works out better for me to do this because I wake up before the rest of the family and get my walking out of the way before the day gets away from me.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I second (third?) getting exercise videos from the library. I like Richard Simmons Sweating to the Oldies actually... (where is that bag smilie?)

However, I do belong to the town gym and think it is worth every penny of the $22 a month.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
A couple of suggestions:

If there's a YMCA near you, they often have sliding scales/ scholarships for low income families (the one I worked at scholarshiped tons of people!)

If you or your DH work for a hospital or big company, they might be happy to pay a percentage of your gym membership- both of my parents' companies did this for them b/c it costs them less to have healthy people who exercise.

I second tapes- Richard Simmons is really fun.

Walk!

From my own experience: DH and I looked into joining the Y. I worked at one during college in a bigger city and loved it. My family had always been members and where we lived it was cheap (plus my mom's work paid for 1/2 of the family membership). Anyway, in the area of the country where we are now, the Y is not cheap
We actually bought an elliptical for home and in the year that we've had it, it has paid for itself in what we would have been paying at the gym. I also work at/ attend a university so I can swim for free (I have swam since I was a little kid and can't imagine not having my laps- I know it's spoiled, but hey).

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I love to walk. I try to go everyday and walk almost 4 miles a day. Sometimes I go with a friend of mine. I put my boys in the stroller and off we go. It is the time of the day when the kids are quiet, they enjoy the walk, and I have time to just think or talk to my friend. It is great physical exercise and mentally theraputic!

Andrea

·
Banned
3,042 Posts
I have a Tony Little Gazelle Edge that I really like. I haven't used it since getting pregnant because my balance is off, but I'll be right back on it after I recover from giving birth. It was only $100 or so.

I also like exercise videos. Right now I'm only prenatal yoga, but I otherwise like the Walk Away the Pounds series and my ancient Jazzercise video.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I keep to the basics, crunches and push ups in the morning and evening - sometimes just in the middle of the day I'll drop and do 15 push ups. I also do Qigong in the morning it gets my blood flowing. Lots of stuff online about it - no cost necessary,

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
You can get a small trampoline and walk, jump, etc. on it. It's low impact and a great total body workout - wonderful cardio - and you can do it indoors. I have one that I used before we started TTC...I've since become a bit of a slacker, but it really did the trick for me, especially in the sweltering summers here.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I exercise quite a bit and started teaching aerobics classes this winter. I get my membership and childcare for free and even get paid an hourly wage. I don't work enough hours to really make much money, but the sweat benefits are outstanding.

I would say the trick is finding some sort of exercise that you enjoy and fits into your schedule. A walk or jog in the morning, a water aerobics class at the YMCA, a video after the kids go to bed...anything that gets your heart rate up and that you will do consistently.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts