Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderingWombat
"Impeach" is some American word for "fry him like skillet bacon", right?
Okay, Wombat, don't get cutesy and get our hopes up

I listen to DemocracyNow! and I was so excited by the Downing Street Memo...Then when Rep. Conyers had the special Democrats meeting in the basement, I listened all afternoon...I barely pulled myself out of the car to run into the post office...And I couldn't help but tell the poor postal lady at the counter (who always seems tired and kind of sad), "They're talking impeachment!" with as gushy and enthusiastic a voice possible. She looked like she got a jolt of energy, and said hesitantly..."Who...him?" And I said, "YES, BUSH. FOR ALL HIS LIES THAT GOT US INTO WAR!" We both just smiled, sighed, and went our merry ways. I hope that we get to the point of impeachment, and I can go back to her counter again, and bring her an impeachment day present.

I've actually been pretty tempted to get an IMPEACH BUSH bumper sticker, but not quite ready to yet. At least not today. Don't know what my colleagues might think...but then again, maybe many of them are thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chersolly
Who would take their place?
No one. Impeachment does not mean removal from office otherwise we would have been spared the remaining years of the Clinton fallacy.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Impeachment is the only honorable thing for the House to do. But with the partisan shillery in both the House and Senate, I won't hold my breath. The leadership of both major parties have no comprehension regarding things like honor.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Just my own opinion, but Resignation would only be honorable if there were no actual international and constitutional crimes involved. Clearly premeditated violations of international treaties and thus Art. VI of the Const. among many other specific penal code violations on Bush/Cheney's parts make resignation unacceptable in this case. Impeachment is the proper path, followed by International Criminal Court indictments (of course the US would have to sign on first... hmmm.. I'm sure there's an existing way around that though via the Hague war crimes tribunals).

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
For the past few months I have thought that we are FINALLY heading towards the impeachment of BUSHCO. It really semms like they are trying to get their s*it together in Washington and rally up the evidence that they need for an Impeachment. .....Am I being too optimistic?

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainsun
For the past few months I have thought that we are FINALLY heading towards the impeachment of BUSHCO. It really semms like they are trying to get their s*it together in Washington and rally up the evidence that they need for an Impeachment. .....Am I being too optimistic?
As has been mentioned above, impeachment will not happen as long as the GOP controls the House of Representatives:

"The House of Representatives shall chuse (sic) their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment." From Article. I, Section. 2 of the U.S. Constitution

See:
http://www.archives.gov/national-arc...ranscript.html

Imo, folks are better off using their energies to pressure the Democrats to make a better effort than they currently are now as to why the nation should shift control in 2006.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Quote:
Imo, folks are better off using their energies to pressure the Democrats to make a better effort than they currently are now as to why the nation should shift control in 2006.
I agree with that 100%. I guess it really disturbs me that Clinton was Impeached for a lie he told about a personal affair (not that I think that was a great thing to do), and yet tangible evidence is piling up about how this Administration has um, well, basically, LIED about everything....with no repurcussions.......just seems plain wrong. And our brothers and sisters are STILL being killed every day because of it.

OK - off the soap box.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
yes, I think Impeachment is a forgone conclusiong right after the Dems take back the senate & house in the midterms. However, forcing BushCo from office is still going to be this country's worst nightmare. Hopefully there will be a strong democratic leadership both in the legislative branch & out that will be able to help provide stability while the current regime tries to hold onto their "mandate" & remain in power.
~Maria

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chersolly
Who would take their place?
If they resigned it would be the Speaker of the House.

Dennis Hastert from Illinois.

Line of Succession

1. Vice President (Richard B. Cheney)
2. Speaker of the House of Representatives (J. Dennis Hastert)
3. President pro tempore of the Senate (Ted Stevens)
4. Secretary of State (Condoleezza Rice)
5. Secretary of the Treasury (John W. Snow)
6. Secretary of Defense (Donald H. Rumsfeld)
7. Attorney General (Alberto Gonzales)
8. Secretary of the Interior (Gale Norton)
9. Secretary of Agriculture (Mike Johanns)
10. Secretary of Commerce (Carlos Gutierrez, ineligible)
11. Secretary of Labor (Elaine Chao, ineligible)
12. Secretary of Health and Human Services (Michael Leavitt)
13. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (Alphonso Jackson)
14. Secretary of Transportation (Norman Y. Mineta)
15. Secretary of Energy (Samuel W. Bodman)
16. Secretary of Education (Margaret Spellings)
17. Secretary of Veterans Affairs (Jim Nicholson)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._of_succession

Quote:
Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez and Secretary of Labor Elaine Chao are ineligible to assume the Presidency, as they are not natural-born citizens; Gutierrez was born in Cuba and Chao was born in Taiwan.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by abimommy
If they resigned it would be the Speaker of the House.

Dennis Hastert from Illinois.

Line of Succession

1. Vice President (Richard B. Cheney)
2. Speaker of the House of Representatives (J. Dennis Hastert)
3. President pro tempore of the Senate (Ted Stevens)
4. Secretary of State (Condoleezza Rice)
5. Secretary of the Treasury (John W. Snow)
6. Secretary of Defense (Donald H. Rumsfeld)
7. Attorney General (Alberto Gonzales)
8. Secretary of the Interior (Gale Norton)
9. Secretary of Agriculture (Mike Johanns)
10. Secretary of Commerce (Carlos Gutierrez, ineligible)
11. Secretary of Labor (Elaine Chao, ineligible)
12. Secretary of Health and Human Services (Michael Leavitt)
13. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (Alphonso Jackson)
14. Secretary of Transportation (Norman Y. Mineta)
15. Secretary of Energy (Samuel W. Bodman)
16. Secretary of Education (Margaret Spellings)
17. Secretary of Veterans Affairs (Jim Nicholson)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._of_succession

yeah but...

that's right now, I've seen somewhere what #2 & #3 look like after the midterms with Dems the majority party if congress. Of course they will be Dems! There's no way BushCo is gonna resign now & no way to impeach now, so we hold on & get congress back, then the fur will fly!

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiralWoman
yeah but...

that's right now, I've seen somewhere what #2 & #3 look like after the midterms with Dems the majority party if congress. Of course they will be Dems! There's no way BushCo is gonna resign now & no way to impeach now, so we hold on & get congress back, then the fur will fly!

Exactly my thoughts.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.