Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I am seriously considering the raw food thing for Archer, my 1-year-old lab/Jack Russel mix. I feed him mostly Nutro lamb-rice puppy food, but also table scraps, (uncooked) bones, and trimmings from whatever meat I'm chopping to bits. DH is sort of ok with raw beef or chicken, but he saw that episode of House about the Trichinosis from the undercooked pork, and doesn't even want to consider giving Archer raw pork or pork bones.<br><br>
Soo, my first question is, do you feed your dog raw pork, and my second question is, how do you deal with the whole trichinosis fear? Do you worry about it at all?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
House is...um, less than factual (or, rather, "let's find a medical issue that occurs once every hundred years, and make that a show!"). Trichinosis is VERY rare nowadays, because regulations insist that the pork be frozen for a certain number of days before it can be sold for human consumption.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yees, it is, after all a TV show, and have you HEARD the crap that he says about BFing and Vaxes? I am not implying that the fear is entirely grounded on reason. Does freezing kill the parasite, then?

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
I have fed our dog pork occasionally. I froze it for awhile.<br>
You certainly don't need to feed pork to do a raw diet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts