Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from the Weston Price website:

Quote:
Children age 3 months to 12 years: A dose of cod liver oil that provides about 5000 IU vitamin A daily
Children over 12 years and adults: A maintenance dose of cod liver oil that provides about 10,000 IU vitamin A daily
Pregnant and nursing women: A dose of cod liver oil that provides about 20,000 IU vitamin A daily

Is anyone really taking 20,000 IU of A daily? That would be about 15 teaspoons of CLO... mmmmm, not sure about that!

Also, anyone giving their infants CLO?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
High Vitamin CLO provides higher levels of Vit A than the "manufactured" kind where they take the natural Vit A out and then put synthetic back in. You should avoid that kind of CLO. So yeah it wouldn't be 15 teaspoons.
HTH

·
Registered
131 Posts
Cortsmommy and Ryleigh'smama, where do you find high vitamin cod liver oil? I've only ever seen the ordinary kind, much less anything fermented (which I'd be fascinated to try, it reminds me of the traditional Inuit diet of autolyzed fish).

Does anyone know if there is an alternative fish liver oil than cod? I'm concerned with the news that cod are being fished out. This is one case where I'd be happy with a properly farmed fish product.
--
AnnaArcturus

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I have the TwinLabs CLO which gives close to 5000 IU per teaspoon, and I take 3 teaspoons per day. I give my 3-year-old DD 1 1/2 tsp per day.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i take 2 t. of the fermented high vitamin CLO myself plus 6-8 caps of the skate liver oil a day. (both Green Pasture brand)

i give my 3 1/2 year old 1 t. of the high vitamin CLO a day.

i am newly pregnant and will continue to take this through pregnancy and nursing postpartum.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaArcturus View Post
Cortsmommy and Ryleigh'smama, where do you find high vitamin cod liver oil? I've only ever seen the ordinary kind, much less anything fermented (which I'd be fascinated to try, it reminds me of the traditional Inuit diet of autolyzed fish).

Does anyone know if there is an alternative fish liver oil than cod? I'm concerned with the news that cod are being fished out. This is one case where I'd be happy with a properly farmed fish product.
--
AnnaArcturus
www.greenpastures.org

I found the fermented CLO on sale a few months ago, they were discontinuing the licorice flavor...which is too bad, cause turns out I really like that flavor and so do my kids.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! Had no idea that all CLO's were not created equal! Thanks. I'll finish off this bottle of Carlson's and move on.

·
Registered
792 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.