Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is almost 10 months old, still bf a lot. He eats some solids too although not what he'd like b/c he has lots of allergies. I'm considering giving him a vitamin supplement since he is getting older.
I still take my prenatal vitamins and a calcium supplement now since I can't eat dairy due to ds allergies.

Do you use any vitamin supplements for your dc.......
why or why not?
and if so what brand? any good natural ones out there w/out dyes, dairy etc.?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
No one here takes vitamins. I think they're a waste of money and you don't absorb much from them. Your body absorbs the nutrients in food MUCH better than it ever will from a supplement. Just keep nursing your babe and he'll be fine

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I do give my DD vitamin D when I remember. We are at a moderately northern latitude but it is very overcast for much of the winter and she certainly doesn't get her 15 minutes of sunshine (or any sunshine) most days. There is some convincing evidence linking Vitamin D deficiency and multiple sclerosis and I have yet to see any suggestion that vitamin D supplements cause any sort of harm whatsoever. I agree it is better to get vitamins from food, but vitamin D doesn't come from food and humans didn't evolve for such northern latitudes, so it makes sense to supplement a little.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spughy View Post
I do give my DD vitamin D when I remember. We are at a moderately northern latitude but it is very overcast for much of the winter and she certainly doesn't get her 15 minutes of sunshine (or any sunshine) most days. There is some convincing evidence linking Vitamin D deficiency and multiple sclerosis and I have yet to see any suggestion that vitamin D supplements cause any sort of harm whatsoever. I agree it is better to get vitamins from food, but vitamin D doesn't come from food and humans didn't evolve for such northern latitudes, so it makes sense to supplement a little.
I just wanted to point out that if you are in Victoria BC you are further north than virtually any US people (outside of Alaska) and 90% of Canadians. While it is "moderately northern" I didn't want people to take your comment to mean Ohio, kwim?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
I just wanted to point out that if you are in Victoria BC you are further north than virtually any US people (outside of Alaska) and 90% of Canadians. While it is "moderately northern" I didn't want people to take your comment to mean Ohio, kwim?

Actually we're further south than a lot of Canada. Not the triangular bit of southern Ontario, but most of the rest of it. There just happens to be a whole pile of people in that little triangle. Poor things.

We are below the 49th parallel. Victoria is at the same latitude as northern Washington State, Minnesota, etc.

I grew up in the Yukon. THAT is the far north. Victoria, not so much. I would supplement with Vitamin D if I lived anywhere north of California. But that's just me.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm further north in Canada than the pp who's in Victoria - I'm in Edmonton which is central AB, not sure the latitude..

Anyways, we don't do vitamins for ds - even vit D. Although I do continue to take my prenatals and extra vit D myself since his needs are higher for it being preemie.

If you really dig into the medical literature there is conflicting research on the need for extra vit D in bf infants, even in northern areas with less sunlight exposure. There's a good study that was done in Korea showing there was no difference in bone mineralization in bf vs ff babies even if there blood showed they were vit D deficient and when they were born to vit D deficient moms. These babies were all studied in the winter months BTW and over 3/4's of the moms were vit D deficient when the babies were born.

Interestingly enough, I asked my mom about vit D & the vit K shot from when I was a baby. I was also born in Edmonton, so same climate.
At the time vit K wasn't even done or mentioned (1976,) and vit D supplements weren't mentioned either. And I have to say I've got incredibly strong bones.. never had a broken one despite having had some horrendous accidents where bones could've been broken. (Klutzy...
)

Anyways, ultimately your choice. Ds did get the vit D supplements for a short while in the NICU. I caved on the issue & decided to pick bigger battles like the human milk fortifier... but don't & won't give the vit D at home.
(Dumb doc knew I wasn't going to give them at home either, but insisted on doing them at the NICU, I stalled long enough with research and stuff to delay them by about 5 days though...
)

eta: We didn't do vit D supplements with dd either, and her dr. actually told us they weren't necessary. Mother nature doesn't screw up, I 100% believe bm is complete in every way regardless of where we evolved. And seems to me I've read that bm composition varies in different parts of the world. Would make sense, we know that moms of preemies make milk that differs from the milk made for full term babies...

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
On the Vit D issue,
from a great article in Mothering Mag.........

Quote:
Studies have shown that children can store enough vitamin D to avoid deficiency for several months when they are exposed to only a few hours of summer sunlight.31-33 Exclusively breastfed Caucasian infants under six months of age (39° N; Cincinnati, Ohio, US) are expected to achieve adequate vitamin D status when exposed to sunlight for 30 minutes per week (diaper only) or two hours per week (fully clothed without a hat). 34 The sunlight exposure needed by darkly pigmented infants is poorly understood.35
The fact that the body can store vit D was what really set my mind at ease about the topic.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I haven't really spent a ton of time researching vitamins and supplements, but my gut tells me no. I don't give my sons vitamin D (I DID research that, and we get plenty of sunshine so I'm not worried about that), nor do I take any vitamins myself -- not even during pregnancy. I guess I just find it hard to believe that with all the grains, fruits and vegetables that I eat every day that I don't get what I need. However, when I'm sick/getting sick I do supplement with a variety of things.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I don't think they're necessary for anything but iron. And since dd is not anemic, I don't give her any. She'll be tested at 1 year since she hasn't eaten any meat yet, and if her levels are low, I'll change her diet, and if they're still really low, she'll get a supplement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts