Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been really hot outside lately, but Ds has not really been outside very often. Dh and I might take him to the park every once in a while in the evening. Anyway, my MIL freaked out and told me that I need to be giving him water along with BF. He's four months old and so far I haven't given him any water except a sip when he gets hic-ups. Is she over reacting or does he really need some water?
:

I checked for a thread like this and couldn't find one, so please direct me to the right one if I've missed it. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
i give ds water, its all he will take in a sippy (for which im secretly glad about). I think it all depends on your child and their age, i didnt give ds water until 6mths old.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
An EBF'd babe is perfectly hydrated with no need for extra water.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
What they said
Even on the hottest summer day, an exclusively breastfed babe doesn't need any extra water. Just nurse frequently

·
Registered
429 Posts
We offered a glass of water with meals when she did solids around 7 months. Didn't drink much, sometimes none. Now that she's a year, she'll have a few sips with a meal and sometimes ask for a drink at other times, like after being outside or such. It's still kind of a novelty to her to drink out of a glass.

ellacy

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
What the others said. No supplementation is necessary for BF'd babies.

When it's hot the consistency of your breast milk will change and become more watery in order to keey your baby properly hydrated. The body is an amazing thing. You don't need to give breastfed babies anything other than the milk they're already getting from you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quote:
Even on the hottest summer day, an exclusively breastfed babe doesn't need any extra water. Just nurse frequently
There have been studies done in very hot regions of the world to back this information up. The important thing is to remember to keep YOURSELF hydrated!

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have read the same thing as pps re: water and EBF babies. But, I have been giving him water in a sippy cup to get him used to a sippy cup. He just kind of licks it so I don't think he's getting much!

The heat is oppressive! At least today isn't too bad here in the mid-atlantic area.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I didn't start water until solids.
I hear formula fed babies are different...they do get water, maybe your MIL either formula fed her babies or started solids early.
Also when ds had hiccups, I would just nurse him and they would go away.

Dawn

·
Registered
661 Posts
I do give water to my baby. My naturopath who I trust believes that water is absolutely necessary for any human being regardless of age. She is also a pediatrician (15 years of experience). Also, see what's the colour of your baby's urine. If it is pretty white, then he is probably fine with minimum amount of water, if, however, if is yellowish, then he definitely needs more water. Lastly, if the baby is constipated, then by giving him water (and drinking lots yourself) his bowel movement will become more frequent.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I've been giving water once in a while in a sippy cup. Hey, it was 110 degrees here yesterday
:

DD seems to like it.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by M_of_M
I do give water to my baby. My naturopath who I trust believes that water is absolutely necessary for any human being regardless of age.
She is wrong.

-Angela

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by calbury
There have been studies done in very hot regions of the world to back this information up. The important thing is to remember to keep YOURSELF hydrated!

Exactly that. And BFing mamas need even more water, plus if you're unlucky enough to be living where it's uber hot these days, you need even more.

My ped told me that MY water intake directly affects Guinevere, so I know if she's not pooping on her regular schedule then I might need to drink more water -- it makes a difference.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
I EP so do not feel comfortable with my body changing the composition of the milk. Sometimes I give dd milk that I pumped 12 hours earlier. I only give my dd water when it is very hot out, (over 85 degrees) and we are outside for awhile (in the shade, of course!) She takes the water over the milk. I only give her three ounces. I think I gave her water a total of 3 times. She is 9 months old and eats a very small amound of solid food.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
I do give water to my baby. My naturopath who I trust believes that water is absolutely necessary for any human being regardless of age.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
She is wrong.

-Angela
Yep, Angela's absolutely correct -- your naturopath is quite wrong. Thing is, if you give a breastfed baby water, then all you're doing is filling up her little tum with water, making her feel full. When what she NEEDS is the nutrition of breastmilk, which will hydrate her and feed her, something water can't do. But by YOU drinking the water, you are ensuring that you are hydrated which allows your body to produce hydrating breastmilk.

Does that make sense? I'm all for getting children in the habit of drinking water instead of sugary drinks, etc., but "regardless of age" is a dangerous, misleading and ignorant approach. Infants and toddlers have unique needs and to lump them in the same category as older children and adults is unhealthy at best.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Quote:

I do give water to my baby. My naturopath who I trust believes that water is absolutely necessary for any human being regardless of age. She is also a pediatrician (15 years of experience). Also, see what's the colour of your baby's urine. If it is pretty white, then he is probably fine with minimum amount of water, if, however, if is yellowish, then he definitely needs more water. Lastly, if the baby is constipated, then by giving him water (and drinking lots yourself) his bowel movement will become more frequent.
Sorry but I have to respond to this as well, since I somehow missed the whole post in my earlier reading.

If your baby's urine is yellow then YOU should be drinking more water, it will hyrate him. Ditto on constipated baby. Only on rare occasions should you give water directly to a young infant -- once we gave Winnie a tiny bit of prune juice diluted with water to help her have a BM when she was constipated.

But as soon as I upped my water intake, that was no longer necessary.

Hydration is an ongoing process, and if you are concerned that your breastfed baby needs more water, then increase the amount you are drinking.

Because giving a breastfed infant water is a quick fix that may hydrate him temporarily, but is depriving him of the nutrients of breastmilk that he NEEDS. Does that make sense? It's really disturbing that your naturopath is a pediatrician and is telling you this?!? How old is your babe? If it's still young enough to be on breastmilk alone, please hydrate yourself and let him nurse more often.

Eep. I'd find a new caregiver, truthfully. Trustworthy or not, that's bad advice. Sorry

1 - 20 of 39 Posts