Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD still gets 90% or more of her sustenance from mama's milk. But I know that once solids, any amount of solids, are introduced, the body's absorption of iron (and maybe other things?) from breastmilk is drastically reduced. And unfortunately her solids diet is not very balanced as she's kind of a picky eater. She loves fruit but hates veggies. She likes salty soups, in fact, salty anything. She only eats miniscule portions of meat.

So, I was in Whole Foods and they have a big selection of "natural" baby/kid vitamins. And I was wondering if I should give her one, since she's not getting as many nutrients from the BM as she was when we were exclusively breastfeeding, and she's not getting that many nutrients from food either.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I just want to make sure she's not missing any nutrients, and I'm obviously not going to make her eat foods she doesn't want to eat.

If you give your toddler a vitamin, why, and what brand?

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I don't give my dd a vitamin. She eats lots of different kinds of foods and is growing well - healthy and happy - so I don't see a reason to.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My 21 m.o. ds is still given formula in his two daily bottles because he's such a picky eater, and I also put one dropper of Enfamil Poly Vi Sol in one of his bottles.

·
Registered
473 Posts
We give my DD natures plus. She has a great diet. It was dh idea. Hes always paranoid she isnt eating enough so this makes him feel better.
Whatever.

They are vegan and all that good stuff. She loves them!

·
Registered
232 Posts
We don't give DS a vitamin, but he does have a very good, well rounded diet.

If you find you have a fruit-eater, you could try getting other things into her by adding fruit to most of her dishes. Makes for some disgusting combos but whatever works!

Also, if you're worried about iron, it's lucky your little one likes fruit as Vit C is essential for iron absorption. So make sure she's getting lots of that through her fruit and that should help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts