Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone out there gives their toddler soymilk...dd still nurses quite a bit and i wondered about introducing her to soymilk as well...?? when did you start?? do they like it??

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I do. I give my ds soymilk and a veg diet because I am a veg and I refuse to drink cow's milk. I cannot give him something that I myself find repulsive, kwim?
He started the soymilk early on though, probably 13-14 months? He has always loved it, but you know, every child is different. Now at two he still has it all the time (although not too much), and loves it!
It drives my meat-eating, cow milk drinking dh crazy...he thinks I'm "ruining him," and "why can't he have regular milk, like a normal kid?"

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I started giving soy and or rice milk at around 13 mths. I refuse to give her cows milk. She took to it no problem and loves them both, and actually had a sip of cows milk once at my moms and wouldn't drink it (thats my girl
)

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I give soymilk to dd1 because she is most likely lactose intelerant and dd2 is bf and she just started to drink a bit of soymilk and she's allergic to dairy. So I won't give her any for a long time.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Yep. I started giving Julian soymilk around a year, and he loves it. He is only allowed soymilk and water as beverages (aside from special treats like Odwalla juice when we go grocery shopping), so soymilk is his favorite drink. I was limiting it to about 7 oz. a day but my milk has dried up due to pregnancy so I'm letting him have 14 oz. now. We drink Silk Enhanced.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Both of our boys have been drinking Silk (vanilla and chocolate) since they were a little over a year old. DH is a cow milk drinker (I am not) and DS 1 refuses to drink cow milk
DS 2 has been known to sip from DH's glass occasionally, but for the most part, he's all soymilk as well.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
No, no soymilk here. Maybe a teeny bit from my oatmeal or something but I am not down with phyto-estrogens in processed soy products. I definitely would limit any soy in boy babies to the minimum. We do homemade almond milk or fortified almond milk from the store.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is an article in one of the Mothering magazines about soy. I think it said that soy is related to delayed puberty in boys, so I would definitely limit it.

I give my ds enriched vanilla rice milk. He loves it!

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I think the danger of soy is in REALLY high amounts, like in infants who exclusively live off of it (soy formula). I don't think moderate amounts of soy are dangerous, from the research I did after reading that article. I think plastics are more dangerous in the estrogen issue.

·
Registered
760 Posts
We're vegan. Simon is 15 months old. He eats some soy products and loves soy shakes (So Good chocolate soy beverage, frozen berries and bananas), but I wouldn't give him a cup of soy beverage to drink. I just don't see the point. He's breastfeeding still and nothing beats that. He drinks a bit of water here and there and has a few sips of soy shake here and there. Nearly all of his liquid consumption continues to be from breastmilk. I'm planning to keep it this way for quite awhile. I think introducing what are essentially mama milk substitutes in sippy cups (or whatever) starts the weaning process. I often hear of moms who say their babies self-weaned at 12 months or something like that. I think that unless they are doing something like this, that must be incredibly rare.

Simon won't be drinking any cow's milk. We'll keep his soy intake moderate.

·
Registered
864 Posts
DS drinks soy milk and eats other soy products. We use Silk.

I must respectfully disagree that phyto-estrogens in soy cause delays in puberty. The big foofara about phyto-estrogens is based on flawed research, as was the article in Mothering. If anyone wants loads of good research disputing the hysteria about soy delaying puberty, please PM me and I can send you loads (my Mum is a vegan cookbook author and dedicated food researcher who has compiled quite a collection of properly researched facts about soy and she likes to share).

Some people are allergic to soy though, so you might want to be aware of it as a potential allergen.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My son(22 months) is still nursing a lot, but does have the rare 1/2 cup or so of soymilk. Sometimes he likes it and asks for it, other times he won't go near it. We are vegan and he will not be drinking cow's milk. We plan on nursing for a long time to come.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
We started giving DS soy and rice milk (plain, full-fat, vitamin-enriched) around 12 months. He was still nursing a lot at that time, but self-weaned at 19 mos. He's 26 mos. now and still likes and drinks both soy and rice milk (now low-fat) equally.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
We are vegan so animal milk is out....but I do not give dd soy milk. We do not even buy it. Even if the research is "flawed" something is up with soy and I do not plan to use my family as a test case. Dd still bfs but for the occasional night out or special circumstance, we feed her non-flavored rice or almond milk. The latter I make myself. We try to stick to water for the most part. I do not think it is necessary to give kids a "milk" if they are breastfeeding and drink water. Once she naturally weans, milk should not be necessary.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dido1
DS drinks soy milk and eats other soy products. We use Silk.

I must respectfully disagree that phyto-estrogens in soy cause delays in puberty. The big foofara about phyto-estrogens is based on flawed research, as was the article in Mothering. If anyone wants loads of good research disputing the hysteria about soy delaying puberty, please PM me and I can send you loads (my Mum is a vegan cookbook author and dedicated food researcher who has compiled quite a collection of properly researched facts about soy and she likes to share).

Some people are allergic to soy though, so you might want to be aware of it as a potential allergen.
I am pretty sure there is no doubt about the existance of phyto-estrogens. I believe the main issue WRT American's use of soy is over-use. No where in the world, but America, do people make entire meals of processed soy. Too much of anything is not a good thing. I don't believe soy in it's pure form is bad but processed soy meals every day, I do believe are unhealthy.

Dd has overdeveloped breast tissue and one of the first things the endocrinologist asked was how much soy intake she has. The theory is not just that it may delay puberty in boys (and expose them to more estrogen than they should be exposed to) but also that it causes early puberty in females. I will admit that I don't believe all of the hype (I tend to believe it's BGH causing early puberty) but I limit it just to be on the safe side.

dido1, I would love to see some of that info... I will admit to being confused about whom to believe.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I would say that Soy is not meant to be consumed in any daily amounts. Soy allergies are more and more common. It is very hard on the digestion. I would give water or rice milk but organic goats milk would be the best with cows following. We have it in our family less than once a month.

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
I do not give my dd any soy milk because I have thyroid disease as does my mom and there is growing evidence that soy can be linked to thryoid disfunction. So, if there is thryoid disease history, I do not want dd to have issues. I also don't eat a lot of soy myself.

Also, there is growing evidence that kids who are intolerant of cow's milk may also have allergies to soy milk. Do some googling and you should find articles.

If I had to pick another choice other than cow's milk I would go for fortified rice milk.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
This is interesting to me. I've been giving my ds soy milk since he was around a year and alternate between that and cow's milk (probably a little more cow's milk). I didn't realize there were any negative issues associated with soy milk. Silk has labeling that they do not use hormones. Any comments on Silk specifically?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts