Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
10,292 Posts
No, no soymilk here. Maybe a teeny bit from my oatmeal or something but I am not down with phyto-estrogens in processed soy products. I definitely would limit any soy in boy babies to the minimum. We do homemade almond milk or fortified almond milk from the store.

· Registered
10,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dido1
DS drinks soy milk and eats other soy products. We use Silk.

I must respectfully disagree that phyto-estrogens in soy cause delays in puberty. The big foofara about phyto-estrogens is based on flawed research, as was the article in Mothering. If anyone wants loads of good research disputing the hysteria about soy delaying puberty, please PM me and I can send you loads (my Mum is a vegan cookbook author and dedicated food researcher who has compiled quite a collection of properly researched facts about soy and she likes to share).

Some people are allergic to soy though, so you might want to be aware of it as a potential allergen.
I am pretty sure there is no doubt about the existance of phyto-estrogens. I believe the main issue WRT American's use of soy is over-use. No where in the world, but America, do people make entire meals of processed soy. Too much of anything is not a good thing. I don't believe soy in it's pure form is bad but processed soy meals every day, I do believe are unhealthy.

Dd has overdeveloped breast tissue and one of the first things the endocrinologist asked was how much soy intake she has. The theory is not just that it may delay puberty in boys (and expose them to more estrogen than they should be exposed to) but also that it causes early puberty in females. I will admit that I don't believe all of the hype (I tend to believe it's BGH causing early puberty) but I limit it just to be on the safe side.

dido1, I would love to see some of that info... I will admit to being confused about whom to believe.

· Registered
10,292 Posts
Quote:
I guess I am strange, but I do not see "replacement milk" whether it be cow's, goat, soy, rice, or almond an actual suppliment to dd's diet. I see the occasional "milk" as a way to satiate a toddler that might not be able to breastfeed at that moment because I am not there or it is not convienient.

Not strange at all! I look at milk in the same way. I give dd almond milk as a treat mid-aftenoon - not because I think she needs milk.

I really believe the US has been 100% brainwashed by the dairy lobby to believe that you NEED a glass of milk a day. I see this in the people I know, IRL, who obsess over their kids drinking cow milk. And then they obsess over why my kids do not.

You do not NEED dairy. I'm not vegan (I wish I was but I am soooo lazy) so my kids do get the occasional egg or cheese but I view all dairy as a treat. I like the way cheese tastes but I don't think I need it, KWIM? In fact, I think dairy (cow dairy) is actively bad for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.