Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a total homebody, and I know in another post many agreed it was easier to be a SAHM when you're "on the move..."

My question is: Do you go out someplace everyday?

I really love staying home, and I find that there's a lot to do HERE without going anyplace. We have the chickens to feed, playing outside, baking, computer play, arts and crafts, etc...

But sometimes I feel guilty if I don't plan at least a few outings a week for us.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I really like being at home too. Also we practice a Waldorf inspired pedagogy, so a rich homelife and rhythm are very important. On the flip side, my ods is very much an extrovert and can get kind of stir crazy without interaction with other people. My compromise is we go out Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings. I get errands done, we go to the library, we have playdates...but if I could get milk and library books delivered, and everyone was willing to always come here to visit, I'd never leave!

Honestly if everyone is happy at home why change that? It sound like you have plenty to keep you occupied, and imo that's the key to happy sahming -keeping busy.

·
Registered
287 Posts
When the weather finally warms up (sigh... mid-April and it's still freezing?!), I intend to get out of the house with my daughter every day. We live near a beautiful downtown area and the shores of Lake Ontario, in a quiet little neighbourhood, and I am sooo looking forward to our walks. I want to find mom clubs to participate in, but insofar as 'group' activities like that, I dunno if I could do more than two a week. I do like time for just baby and I (and hubby when he's home!) to snuggle and play.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
when i was a SAHM dd and i went out everyday. we were not homebody's. its just our personality. even today we rarely stay home and come home to sleep after school.

to each his own. if you enjoy staying at home then that's fine.
and sometimes i felt guilty we didnt stay home more often.

·
Registered
675 Posts
No, I don't. I'm a home-body too (although I suck at anything other than the parenting aspects of being a home-maker
) but DD does go stir-crazy if we stay home all week so we compromise. For us it seems best if we get 2 -3 at home days each week.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
No, I never really get out and do stuff *every day*. There's always plenty to do at home (artsy stuff, home stuff, now gardening) and right now my oldest boy is in little league so that is an outing almost every day But over the summer I will plan a few outings here and there.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Oh, no, we definitely don't leave every day!! A whole week or more can go by without us leaving during the day. On Thursdays and Fridays I babysit so we can't leave on those days. With the laundry, the dishes and the housekeeping it seems like there is always so much to do here already. and I save grocery/diaper/household shopping for after dinner or the weekend and go by myself.

When it is warm outside we will leave a lot more and go to the park and the lake and the zoo and on walks and stuff.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongurigal View Post
Probably depends on circumstances as much as personality.....
I've found this to be true, too. When we lived in a tiny apartment in Berkeley (with no car), my little one and I went out walking almost every day. Our refrigerator was tiny, so we had to get groceries every other day at least, and the other days we spent running other errands or going to the parks. The weather and flowers were beautiful, but the down side was the multitude of homeless people on the streets there, some are pretty mean and/or crazy so that part was stressful.

When we moved to this (750 sq. ft.) house, we had so much room and a beautiful garden so we've stayed home a lot. Our daughter will play in the garden for 6-8 hours a day in the summer! We have friends over quite a bit (including kids for our daughter to play with). I love being at home, I never run out of things to do here, either!

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommariffic View Post
I'm a total homebody, and I know in another post many agreed it was easier to be a SAHM when you're "on the move..."

My question is: Do you go out someplace everyday?

I really love staying home, and I find that there's a lot to do HERE without going anyplace. We have the chickens to feed, playing outside, baking, computer play, arts and crafts, etc...

But sometimes I feel guilty if I don't plan at least a few outings a week for us.
No. We were home a lot when my kids were young.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I noticed you said that you feed chickens and play outside. If we had a yard to play in, I probably would not do an outing every single day. As it is, we live in an apartment, and I do feel it's important for him to get at least a little outside time every day, so yes--we do go to the playground or whatever. But in your situation I probably wouldn't.

That said, after the baby is born in July, I'll probably have to tone things down for a while.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would lose my mind if I stayed home every day. We definitely go somewhere every day, but I am always impressed with myself if we do stay home. I think it depends on the ages of kids, and whether or not you really enjoy your house. We are renting a house, so I don't really care to be in it unless I have to. I get minimal housework done. Just enough to keep us going and not have a dirty house. At my funeral, I don't want people to talk about what a good housekeeper I was. There are more important things in life than having all of the dishes put away, and the laundry done and folded.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
When the kids were home (from birth to first grade), I wouldn't dream of leaving the house every day. I am a total homebody and LOVE being home. And, like you said, there is so much to do around the house and yard!

Now that the kids are in school, I only leave the house when I absolutely have to - errands, volunteering, Scouts, lessons and sports. Otherwise, I am at home in my jammies (like now).

I could easily move with my family to the middle of nowhere and be completely and utterly happy.

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
It's a rare day that we stay home. it only happens maybe 1-2 times a month. It was easier to do when I just had one child and they were a baby/toddler, now there is always something to do. DD1 does gymnastics twice a week and piano. I always take DD2 to the open gym every week since she isn't old enough for gymnastics yet but she really wants to go since big sister does it. We always go to storytime and then play with friends afterward. On other days, it's easier to meet friends at the children's museum or the park so that both kids can play with other people. On the weekends we have family time, which always involves swimming on one day, errand running, etc....

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
We don't get out everyday, but I have a friend who sah with her three kids and we have weekly LOST night, we get together on Wednesdays after the kids are asleep, have a drink and watch LOST. I also have another mom friend who works, but we get together on Thursdays for lunch and mall walking. Fridays we (dh, ds1, ds2, and I) go out to dinner as a family. Generally I stay in the house on Mondays and Tuesdays. On the weekends I spend time with ds1 and dh as they work and go to school all day during the week and we don't get to see each other much.

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
We're all over the map. I've had weeks where we're out every day, and the whole family does outings on Saturday and Sunday. This week looks like it might go that way. We've also had weeks where we don't go out at all (think last week was like that). It depends on weather, how we're all feeling physically, my mental state (probably the biggest single factor), etc.

I'm having a c-section on June 26th, so the first part of the summer will be mostly indoors. I'm going to try to get ds1 to take his younger siblings to the playground for an hour a day, though. He enjoys the playground, himself, and can take a friend, so it's not a huge burden.

We don't do as much at home as I'd like. I have trouble keeping the dining table clear enough to do crafts, and I tend to get into funks easily, so I'm often not very creative about things. The kids mostly just engage in "free" play...everything from unspooling a small package of floss to make a spider web, to role-playing with characters from movies or books, to making up tea services (including candy, beverages, various cakes, etc.) with blocks to just...I don't really know what they do a lot of the time, except that it frequently involves pulling everything out of the linen closet, building forts, playing dress-up, etc.

They also like to play on the patio, which tends to be a bit messy, but fun.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Nope. Most days I don't go anywhere -- and I really like that. Before we moved from our home state, I did leave everyday because I spent a ton of time in the car driving the kids to and from school, running errands, picking up DH from work when we shared a vehicle,etc. I didn't hate it, but I would now. We had a small apartment and I enjoyed getting out and about; rather than staying in and having my kids bounce off the walls. Now, we have a huge house and 1/2 an acre; my older two kids ride the bus to school, so there's no need to drive anywhere unless we want to. By the weekends, I'm ready to go places with the whole family.

In the fall, things will change a bit as I am taking classes in the next city. It won't be everyday, but likely 3 days per week I'll have somewhere I have to be -- something I'm not used to but am looking forward to (even though I do love being home, I really want to go to school, too
)

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I prefer to go out every day. If my ds1 were a little calmer I think I would stay home more. I like to cook and clean and do crafts with the kids. However, sometimes he goes so nutty I have to get out to save myself.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommariffic View Post
I'm a total homebody, and I know in another post many agreed it was easier to be a SAHM when you're "on the move..."See I'm the opposite of that particular thread which is why I didn't post, because I think SAH is way more easier when you're not on the move.
For me anyway.

My question is: Do you go out someplace everyday? Nope. I stay home way more days than I go somewhere.

I guess it just depends on you and your kids and your budget. We're on a budget, and I find that I spend money when we are out and about, and even if there is "free" stuff to go do, there's always things the kids want. My kids don't whine for things, but it does make me feel bad to go someplace and have to caveat with "guys we are b-roke so we're just here for the free action." I don't mind saying it, but if we were all over the place I'd have to say that everytime we went somewhere and frankly the consumerist trinket nation we live in annoys me- suffice it to say we avoid street fairs like the plague.

I'm an introvert and I get very burnt out by crowds and running about. My oldest is also an introvert/reader/thinker and she doesn't like riding in the car, she's 13 and would much rather stick her nose in a book. Getting her out and about is almost a chore in itself.

My youngest is an extrovert, but she's very satisfied with 5 days of school and lots of attention when she's at home. We do go outside our house, and I involve her in the normal stuff, library grocery shopping.

I guess we just mostly stick close to home. No one ever whines about being bored or wanting to go go go, so I spose we're ok in that regard.

I would like to incorporate more adventures into the forest, and outdoorsy stuff, but the gas prices last summer totally blew our budget. Hope this summer is better.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.