Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so, I have a question for you.

We took DD to her first anthroposophic doctor appointment today. Overall it was awesome and I absolutely plan on using her as DD's doctor.

However, she said something interesting, that was surprising to me. She said that around 14 months is usually a good time to wean and move the baby to their own bed. She said once a child is ready to stand up and face the world physically, they are ready to stand up and face the world immunilogically (sp? on that one
).

It just kind of struck me as odd, that seems so EARLY! I am semi-commited to CLW and I will encourage DD to nurse until 2 and then after that I am okay with her choosing when to stop. Also, I love having her in bed. 14 months seems way to early to move her out of our bed as well.

Anyway, I am posting this here since it is waldorf related and I am looking to attract that audience and get your views on this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Many waldorf resources say to wean at 7 -9 months or even earlier and cosleeping is never recommended.

In, you are your child's first teacher I think she does a good job of explaining the reasoning behind these things in a non offensive way
I love that book....

I am still nursing my 17 mo. She is no where near ready to wean.
What's interesting to me is that toilet training usually encouraged to happen on the late side. Which i personally completely agree with, but I think there is a connection between the independence of toileting ones self and weaning as far as independence.

Also when these kids are being weaned at 7 - 9 months or where because i think its happening less now, or even kids being weaned at 12 months, do they go on milk or formula? Because the whole premise is that their body is ready for food and they are ready to detach from mom? so then they attach to a cow? I dunno it just isnt credible in my view and coming from a male also.

Ok I dont enjoy cosleeping or nursing really 100% of the time and there are days where I think it would be better for DD and for me if we didn't do either of those things, but I just dont feel DD is ready for that....

It's the 2 things in waldorf phil, I just dont buy at this point.... nursing and cosleeping. Cosleeping a little less, because I can see how it disturbs both our sleep (dd is a light sleeper), encourages night time nursings, and takes away from my time with DH and with myself... It just happens to be what works for me since DD is still waking all the time to eat, and its not like she's comforting she emptys both breasts! and she is really thin. But who knows i mean maybe her digestion is not dev properly because I am still nursing and if I weaned then she would eat more table food ? But this theory only works for me if kids go from breast to table food only not from breast to milk or formula..

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
My family went to an anthroposophic doctor the whole time I was growing up. My mother nursed my brother and me for a year and my sister for two years. I don't think the doc ever had anything to say about it. Not that she would have paid him much heed if he had.

The experience of going to an anthroposophic doc is why I am extremely skeptical of homeopathy in general. But congratulations on finding a doctor you like so much!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Yes, I hear you. I was very put off by such a theory when I first discovered anthroposophy. I of course did not wean my daughter (who nursed well into her 4th year). I unfortunately did not read "You are Your Child's First Teacher" and just heard this somewhat dogmatic declaration that children should be weaned at 8months from our Waldorf preschool teacher. It was a "Steiner Says" moment... Now, I'm a Waldorf teacher, and I'm also an anthroposophist. But if we have another child, we will definitely co-sleep and CLW.

I truly believe that until we can experience something as truth, as our truth, that it's better to leave it to rest. This is one of those times for me.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! That article was amazing, thank you!

I have to say, I am not what you might call a "waldorfian"
My sister went to Waldorf school for her high school years. We are going to this doctor more for reasons of "natural" medicine and non-vaxing then the spiritual side of it.

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
good reasons to choose an anthroposophic physician, frankly. I went to a practice in Chicago for several years. I doubt if more than 10% of their practice was anthroposophists, if that. They did treat some of the children who were at waldorf, but certainly not the majority. The main reason for choosing the practice that I saw was people who wanted a licensed doctor with hospital privileges who did alternative medical stuff.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JennaW View Post
If so, I have a question for you.

We took DD to her first anthroposophic doctor appointment today. Overall it was awesome and I absolutely plan on using her as DD's doctor.

Hi Mama! Would you mind pming me the name of who you went to?
I have been looking for one and haven't been successful yet (your really close to my location) Thanks!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.