Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many people do. I've cooked from scratch all my adult life and have never had one- just the old knife and cutting board and it takes forever. My sister got one and raves about it.. (I even chop nuts with a knife). I have a Vita Mix but it doesn't slice mostly purees.

So are these worth it? What do you think?

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I have one that I've only used a few times. I'd really like to use it more though.
busymomma--would you mind elaborating on how you use it? I shop at costco as well. do you also have a machine that can do the smaller sealed packages, or do you just use ziplocs?

also, a hummus recipe would be great! and the black bean sauce. . .i'm intrigued. . .how do you make it and what do you use it for?

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What my sister uses hers for is chopping large amounts of veggies and meat for soups and other dishes she makes a lot of and freezes. In minutes she chopped 7lbs of carrots. I always thought washing it would make it not worth the hassle of owning one...

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
I have a really nice one that I scored at a yard sale for $5. I don't use it often, I really don't know what to use it for :LOL Anyhow it's pretty easy to clean, I just throw all of the parts in hot soapy water right after using it and it mostly rinses right off.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
We love ours dont use it like every day but when we do use it boy do we use it. Like for grating mass amounts of cheese, veggies, Mom makes pie crusts in hers. Very handy! I just rinse mine under hot water till washing time, now that we have a dishwasher its even easier.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Get it, get it!

I was totally anti-food processer. What did I need that newfangled thing for, when my blender did everything I needed? So I had to poke a chopstick down in there when things got clumped up - was that so bad? Who needs more kitchen gadgets, anyway?

Then (unasked) my folks got me a cuisinart for the holidays. It sat in the basement because I just couldn't think of any reason to use it, until the day I was over at a friend's while she was making pesto. Holy mackerel! She simply put the basil, walnuts, oil and garlic into the processor, pulsed it a few times and presto! Pesto! None of the stopping and starting and poking with the chopstick I was used to. None of the pre-chopping! (I make a lot of pesto to freeze for the winter, so this was a big deal).

I hauled the fp up from the basement, got my friend to show me how to use it, and since then I've been a changed woman. It has truly revolutionized my kitchen. I don't use it to chop veggies or grate cheese, but for pureeing soups, making pesto, making hummus (put in yer garbonzos, tahini, etc. and in seconds there it is), and pie crusts (no longer a tedious chore!), it can't be beat.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I received a used one from my aunt. Sounds like I use it similarly to the mamas who've already posted. I use it to chop mass amounts of veggies to add to my black bean recipe, but rarely for daily use. Chopping veggies is one of ds's favorite jobs and a great way to get him to eat more veggies.

Busy Mommy, I'd also be interested in your hummus recipe if you'll share it. Thanks.

Marsh

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I use my food processor every day. I leave it out on my counter because if I put it away, it's too much of a pain to use.

I make cookie, cake, muffin, pancake, waffle batter (etc.) in it - just puree the wet ingredients and then pulse in the dry ingredients.

I use it to make flour from rolled oats, nuts, and seeds.

I use it to mince kale to a parlsey like texture so I can add it to rice, soups, potato, pasta, egg, tuna, bean, salads and nobody really notices they're eating kale.

I use it to knead bread dough (I have a special plastic blade).

I use it to grate carrots, cabbage for cole slaw, salads, carrot cakes, etc.

I use it to make pie crust and crackers.

I use it for hummus and other bean dips.

I use it to make "ice cream" from frozen fruit and a little milk or juice.

I use it to chop/puree raisins and other dried fruit to sweeten baked goods.

When kids were younger, used it to make baby food.

And that's off the top of my head - I'm sure there are others. If you rinse it out right away, it's easy to keep clean!

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
One of the CostCo things I do is make garlic cubes from the huge tub they sell. I pour the whole tub into the cuisinart, add a bit of olive oil and then puree it down to little chunkies. I put this in ice cube trays and freeze it. Then, transfer to ziploc freezer bags.

Hummus the easy way

2 roastead garlic bulbs OR 2 softened garlic cubes
2 cans garbanzo beans
1T (to taste) roasted sesame tahini
1 squishy avocados
fresh lemon-about half +
I put everything in the cuisinart and blend away

Serve w/pita bread, tomatoes, feta and black olives

oh and the black bean sauce
(I simplified one that someone posted here w/their Enchilada recipe
)
2T olive oil
1 garlic cube
1/4 c. chopped onion
1/3 can salsa verde
2 cans black beans
2 chicken bouillion cubes
1 c. (or so) water
You can sautee the oil, garlic, onion and salsa first. Then put everything in the cuisinart. Of, if you're lazy, just drop everything in the cuisinart. It'll cook over your enchiladas or whatever.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I couldn't live without my cuisinart. I'm onto my 2nd one in 15 years. The first one I dragged half way around the world.

I try to cook in bulk and freeze stuff so I use it for:

- shredding carrots, onion and celery for spaghetti sauce

- making dough - I hate rubbing butter into flour with my fingers.

- pureeing dd's baby food and soups

- mixing cake batters made with oil

- making breadcrumbs

- shredding cheese

- making jugs of dacquiris and pina coladas, it crushes ice well.

I bought my Cuisinart at Costco really cheap and it came with 2 bowls so I can just toss the dirty one in the dishwasher - not a hassle at all.

If I just have to chop a couple of veges, I'll use a knife but for large amounts, I love my food processor.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I couldn't live without mine! I especially love it for grating and shredding things (like cheese, carrots, sweet potatoes, beets). It's more money, but get the stem that you put different slicing/shredding blades on.

Bread dough is a cinch to put together, as are pie crusts and pastry dough. Shortbread takes seconds to make.

I use it for pureeing soups, making pesto, etc.

I do not use it for chopping onions- it shreds them in a weird way and they don't cook right. But just about every other veggie I can think of processes up nicely.

I've had my Cuisinart for 10 years now and it's going strong. My mom's had hers for probably about 20 years. It's the only brand I would buy, and I would definitely get one with a large capacity (maybe not the hugest one out there but not a small one either).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.