Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my husband and i are trying to get out once a week.we have never used a babysitter before.how have you ladies found a great babysitter???????????we have a 1 1/2 yr. old and are looking for someone to watch the video moniter after she has gone to bed from about 8pm-2 am.do you think these are unreasonable hrs?what kind of references have you asked for?cpr cert.? what's the going rate?
:

·
Registered
279 Posts
What part of town are you in? I do think that 2 am is probably a little late to expect someone to watch the monitor until. Do you sit up watching your baby until 2 am? When you say "watch" the monitor do you mean as if it's a tv? or be doing other things and periodically glance at the monitor?

My dh and I try to be home by midnight. On a special occassion we will stay out later than that. But understand our sitter will probably go to sleep on the couch.

My dd is still night nursing so we would have a very difficult time being out that long.

Rate varies heavily. We do a lot of swapping with other parents in our ap group. I do have an excellent teenage sitter I can recommend depending on what part of town you are in. I pay her $5/hr. for one child. I have a twenty something sitter who is fairly good with the younger ones. She gets overwhelmed with the older ones sometimes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We don't go out, since we don't trust anyone else alone with DS. Plus, he can be a touch demanding (this also goes with being 20 months), and he's a frequent nurser, which is also difficult for anyone that's not mom or dad.

IMO, there's a very good checklist of questions in the book "Protecting the Gift". We're exceptionally cautious if the need for another care provider comes up, and even being very choosy about who we pick we're still not very comfortable with the idea.

I do agree that it might be good to find someone that belongs to a group with you, especially if you subscribe to very specific philosophies about anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts