Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm reading the NCSS for what seem to be the 10th time (like I said in another thread) to help my dd (22 months) to have a better sleep. She's waking almost every hour (sometimes more) and it takes forever to get her to fall asleep.

I have tried most of Pantley's "solutions" (routines in day and bedtime routine, good naps, *trying* to introduce a lovey, sleep cues, gentle removal plan, etc.) at different periods and we never saw real improvement.

However, Pantley says 92% of her test-mothers saw there baby sleep for more than 5 hours by 60 days of following this plan.

So I'm asking myself if I'm in the 8%?? Or, maybe I did not strick enough to my plan? Or maybe the sample of her experiment is not good?

If you tried that "method", can you share with us your experience?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I didn't have much luck. I've been trying to use the gentle pull off since April and I haven't seen a significant improvement. I've tried not to analyze it too much, I just figure she'll sleep when she's ready. Christmas night she slept for 9.5 hours. THe first time ever!

Good luck.
Sus

·
Registered
865 Posts
I read it many months ago, and saw some improvement...but I really never stuck with it. Then, a month ago, I decided to get serious about the suck to sleep dependence. He took a pacifier at naps and bedtime, and I started phasing it out (he'd nurse to sleep and then I'd switch out the breast for the paci). It's been almost 2 weeks since he's had the paci at all, and a month since he used it at night. This took a bit of work, but using the NCSS method, it was gentle, gradual, and it worked! (I also read some stuff about pacis and mouth shape/dental problems, so I was determined to get rid of those for good). I've also started trying to pat him back to sleep (we co-sleep). I've been so sleep deprived, that I just immediately pulled up my shirt and latched him on because it was the easiest way to get me right back to sleep. I can actually pat him or rub his tummy/back/head once a night. Last night, he didn't wake up for his first usual feeding (though he varied from 3-6 nursing a night, with 3 being a rare and wonderful thing). I got 5 hours of sleep in row last night(at least I think so....if I didn't wake up enough to remember, I guess that counts too..lol). He's now waking up an average of 3 times a night, which is wonderful. I'd be happy with 1-3 forever really, since I already get up at least once a night myself.

Another thing that I think helped was I put a humidifier in our room last night. I didn't wake up super thirsty, so he must not have been either. We have forced air heat and it's been cold lately....so its on a lot. It also helps if I sleep better. I've been restless lately, and it wakes him up more.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Add me to those who didn't have much luck. Although I like her gentle "no cry" approach, I found that she made lot of generalizations about what babies and toddlers need in terms of sleep, and most of it just didn't apply to my dd.

I guess she's in that 8%, too.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I read it, studied it, tried to implent it and it just didn't work for us. I felt that her ideas were good but there was no clear way to achieve it. I felt like I was reading a bunch of statements that were saying "this will work as long as you keep it up but it may take 6 months and then it may not even work" But I did take a few of her ideas and have been using them.

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
Didn't work here, we tried the whole method with ds, right when the book came out, I've tried a few things with dd without any success. We always had a routine for nighttime, I could never get either kid to use a "lovey" other than me. The Pantly pull out, was a total failure with both kids. I was/am too sleep deprived to keep up with charts.

It's really a shame I like her ideas and love that fact that there is a book out there supporting co-sleeping and breastfeeding. But they just weren't helpful for us.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
So bummed! I just ordered the book. I am about to cio with my 4 year old. He sleeps like a dream in our bed, but is so noisy about his dreaming. He wakes up everyone in the bed, including his 2 year old sister. Who of course wants to nurse back to sleep. I was going to try to 'get' her before she gets too old. Perhaps I'll be the 82%!
:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi-
I have had some success with it
Especially just tuning into when DD was ready for nap and bed, setting up routine (even if it is DH walking her to sleep) , and the "pull-off" worked for a while. This past week she has been nursing what seems all night...attributing it to growth spurt and teething. I definitely think it is worth trying for awhile. HTH!
Kathleen

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
I had comeplete success with it. Well, success as I define it. J is only 9 months old, so I don't want her sleeping through the night yet- just not waking up every hour.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I had great success with it when ds was 15 months old. We did however substitute the breast for a paci, which is now a problem -- but he was not sleeping through the night at that point, and in less than a week he was. Transitioning him off the breast, soothing him back to sleep, and setting up a consistent bedtime routine really worked for us.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Maman,

The only thing that worked for us was the Pantly Pull Out Method. We started that around 4 mos old. DD is going on 14 mos and it's worked so far. But the waking every hour has not changed :yawning:

Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.